Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Once again I seek collective wisdom from the BB to help with an issue, which, while not Alfa related, may have been experienced by someone who suffered a similar situation.

Last fall I crashed my '93 Nighthawk, received a settlement, and given the bike. I anticipated receiving a salvage title so I could repair and re-title the superficially damaged bike, but, because repair costs greatly exceeded the Actual Cash Value (ACV), VA declared the bike non-repairable, and therefore not able to be re-titled...a very bad determination, as it developes, and something I'm thinking other owners of older cars (motorcycles) may have experienced. Anyway, I'm thinking there must be some way to get around this, but numerous calls, emails and crying on the phone like a little girl have been fruitless. What's the owner of old, but fixable, iron to do?

I can get a new VIN frame sticker and title from "a guy I know", but would prefer not to go there. My Honda dealer will sign off on an inspection certificate, but the problem remains the "non-repairable" determination based on ACV/Repair $$$. BTW, no joy on BB search. Also, as observed by others, the site has gone all "dial up" and bizarre on me.

In the immortal words of Princess Leah, "Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope". Actually, I asked Obi-Wan, and he said "You're screwed".

Help!!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
So wait, you talking NV or VA? If it's VA Obi-wan is right. They hauled my VERY fixable Protege off to the junkyard because of this exact problem. 60k miles, lots of trick suspension stuff, great shape, and I drove it home from the accident with no pulls, shakes, or shimmies. I debated taking a check from the ins. co, buying the car back, and replacing the rear bumper, trunk lid, one fender, and headlight assembly but gave up due to the same bureaucratic idiocy. Couldn't even get a salvage title for it.

Basically, enough damage to exceed 90% of ACV and you will not get another VA title. Period.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Steve, Here in Michigan one can apply for a "builder's title" My ex-brother-in-law raced
and collected many bikes. He NEVER had a problem. My neighbor down the street
(also named Steve) did the same thing just a few weeks ago. You may want to
explore that avenue. Good luck....Ed K.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yo eight-o-one:

A search of the MI DMV site came up with no hits on "builders title". Any details?

And Jason, regarding the 90% repair/ACV situation, I'm in touch with the original adjuster at Foremost to see if he can "adjust" and resubmit his original numbers to avoid the non-repairable status. Repair estimate was $3200 and ACV was $2100, but repair included $600 (!) for a scratched exhaust pipe I can live with.

Thanks for the response from both of you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts