Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy tires for my 101 sprint, I bought 155 X 15 for my 101 spider and thought I would try a little wider tire on the sprint.

175x70 tire, anyone running this size? any rub issues? Thoughts?

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
I think you've made up your mind... IMO. It's your money and your car. I think the silence can be interpreted as resounding indifference and /or the opposite of resounding support for the idea. Stick with the 155's bottom line.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no, no mind made up yet, just curious. 155's are about $40 dollars less per tire. : )

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vredestein makes a sprint classic in the 175x70 so the vintage tire look would be retained. No interest in running a modern looking tire.

from what I'm finding w the vredestine:

175x15:

7" section width
5' tread width
24.7 Dia

155 x 15:
6.2 section width
4.3 tread width
24.8 Dia

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Stick with the Vredestein 155 section tyres....they work very well and they maintain the light steering and good handling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I made the mistake of putting 165 Vredesteins on my Sprint & had problems with the front right tyre rubbing on the forward lower edge of the wheelarch on cornering.

I swapped them for 155's (still Vredestein) & have had no problems since ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I made the mistake of putting 165 Vredesteins on my Sprint & had problems with the front right tyre rubbing on the forward lower edge of the wheelarch on cornering.

I swapped them for 155's (still Vredestein) & have had no problems since ...
I’m with lightweight-911 here. I just picked up my 155’s after buying 165’s. They were rubbing on my way home from the shop. Luckily they replaced them.
I’ll fit the 155’s tomorrow.

Unless you can try out a set for minimal expense I’d stick with standard. What I went through to have them replaced(tyres had to be freighted interstate) is a real headache and expensive.

Plus, for a road car in most situations, what will be the benefit of the wider tyre?

Regards Daniel (101 Spider FYI)

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
It wasn't that long ago we pined for 155's which were unobtanium. Enjoy the luxury of having them now at reasonable prices. Just don't fall for the bunk about riding them at 22 psi because the old tires were constructed for that according to the manuals. Keep them around 30 and you will be very happy with response, ride, and grip.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think in the day, Alfa fitted the X to the budget models, but the Cinturato was what they fitted to the more sporting models

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/alfa-romeo/giulietta.html#page=1

But there is no advantage fitting wider tyres to these cars unless you find yourself locking up your wheels under braking or getting too much wheel spin. If you want to fit wider tyres you should really do alsorts of other adjustments to take advantage of a wider tyre like lowering the car, stiffening the suspention and adding some adverse camber, but all of this goes towards a less pleasant road car.

I would fit 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturato. it has an H speed rating and is very much a sports car tyre. it was developed to take all the advantages of a radial tyre but make them more progressive and suited to sports cars. where the Michelin X is a great tyre, a bit earlier and should last longer, maybe a softer ride, but not so progressive.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Today's tires such as the Vreds and Cinturatos have some 30 to 40 percent better traction than the best we used "back in the day". That's in the wet or dry.
Then the legend was that the Cinturatos while not having the grip of the Michelin Xs they were the better tire.
The "Xs" would hold on longer, but then suddenly let loose.
So, my thoughts have been that there is really no need to go to wider tires for more traction.
Besides that, the 155/80/15 provide such a comfortable ride on harsh "B" roads.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The 155`s also retain that feeling of responsiveness and agility that wider tyres seem to take away. They also regain that progressiveness in the handling as these chassis weren`t designed for huge grip but a very predictable and controllable slide type of handling which is perfect for road use. The chassis also was not designed for much heavier loading at the pickup points without modification. What`s wrong with the feel of the car as they came from the factory anyway? You do after all own a very old car that will never behave like a new one so why try to ruin that feel. You can have just as much fun (actually more) going through a bend at 60mph than a modern going through at 80.

·
Registered
539 Posts
the date code of the 155R15 CA67 tyres we are shipping currently is 6th week of 2019.

Not bad for an obsolete tyre

1 - 20 of 33 Posts