What do you recomend cost-benefit?

What is the best?

All coments welcomed.......

Regards,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,421 Posts
Eliseo,

Are you looking for street or track tires? Also, what size(s) are you looking for?

I've been very happy with the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 for a street and occasional time trial tire. They are wearing well and the shoulders seem to be able to take a lot of abuse without chunking.

EDIT: Duh, of course you are looking for racing tires. Nevermind!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires.....

Sorry for that:
205/50-15 DOT Racing tires, I would consider usint High Performance tires, like the BF Goodrich TA KW.

I currently have Hoosiers, ver good! The problem is they don't last much........

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
tires

i tried the bf goodrich tires one time. i didn't like them. in my opinion, they are the worst tire i have ever thrown on my car. they did not stick like the hoosier's, yoko's, or kumho's and they were gone in two weekends. if you can't run the hooiser's, try out the kumho's and yoko's. those are very good tires.

·
Registered
880 Posts
tires

I use Bridgestone RE730 they seem to be very good and i there Z rated also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
European motorsport tyres

Running Yokohama A539 195/50-15. Excelllent in wet and dry. Wear so far seems very good. I think they have a different name for these in the US though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bridgestones

I was trying to get S03's, however they are not made in 205/45 on 16s. Only the grid 3's are..I hear good things about these as well.

They are quite reasonable here, cheaper than the Yoko A539 for sure.

I let you know once i have them.

PS - is any one running 16's on a 105 series alfa?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I ran the BFG R1 for a short time. I can't remember how it handled.

But my current 225/50/16 Kumho Victoracers are absolutely fantastic. Before this I had Falken Azenis RS 215/45/16.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Falken Azenis????

How were those Falken Azenis??? I just got a set after having Hoosiers. I could just not aford Hoosiers every 3-4 races.

I heard the Falken were good, but that they did not keep up after 20-25 minute runs........

How did you like them? How was life wear?

How do they compare to the Kumho? Do you have any time diferences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Hi Eliseo,

Azenis are street tires and the Kumhos are R-compound. I think even the best street tire cannot compare with the "worst" R-compound tire. I shaved 4-seconds of my time at Laguna Seca with the Kumho Victoracer V700.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I like the Kumho VictoRacers and Ecsta V700s. Good price and good grip, and they last more than just a couple events. I think I put 5 or 6 track weekends on my first set of VictoRacers before I sold them with rubber still left (and not completely hard) because I got larger wheels.

I've done a track event on the Falken Azenis and they don't even come close to comparing to a R-compound tire. They stick ok for a couple of laps, but when the temps go up they get greasy. Probably the best STREET tire to take to the track if you really need to have dual purpose tires.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
???????????

Well, I guess it's going to be fun my next race.
To go back a little, I have a 2.0l full race Giulia Spider. I was put (against my will) in a class with 911´s (2.7-3.6), Mustangs and 2.5l BRE's. There was really not much I could do but chase those guys on the turns and see them get away on the straights. I managed to get a class change and now they requested I do "something" to be a little more competitive. I did not want to keep spending money so I opted for the Falkens. I was told they are good (as agreed) but not comparable to the R compounds let alone the Hoosiers.
So what I hope to get from my tires is a longer tread life and be able to keep up with the guys who were running 2 seconds slower than I was.........
I did however just ordered a new custom Aluminum radiator to keep the temps down! Here in México we were running on 95°F days and I was having 210°F temps. With the new tires and the new radiator I'm sure I'll be able to keep up and have fun with the other Alfas, MG's etc...
I'll let you all know.

One more question: What tire do you all like the best in the R compound class considering tread life and stickiness.........

Thanks for your replies!

Regards,

·
Registered
667 Posts
Re: ???????????

ECARRILLO said:

One more question: What tire do you all like the best in the R compound class considering tread life and stickiness.........

Thanks for your replies!

Regards,
The Kumhos are pretty well known to have a very good compromise between grip and tire life for a nice price, and Hoosiers have excellent grip but high price and short life.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well my car isn't exactly light. Estimate about 2800 lbs. So maybe the Azenis could not be expected to perform that well when really pushed.

On a 101 car with 205 Azenis should be more consistent since I assume it will be around 2300 lbs or so right?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weight...............

Actually something more like 1800lbs........ a little more since Ihave added some weight. I'm jogging every day now so it will go a little back down.

Hopefully they hold a little more with a lighter car!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nothing is going to surpass the grip of the Hossiers.

As far as what is "almost as fast under most conditions"

1. Kumho V700 (ecsta or victo)
2. Toyo Proxes

I really liked my old BFG R-1's, however their life was a little shorter than the Kumhos and Proxes and they are no longer available. 2 of 3 of my still standing AROSC TT lap records are on r-1's.

I've never been really impressed with the Yokohama's (old 008's don't compare in grip level to the Kumho/toyos/hoosier) I don't think that the a032's are much better than the Azenis...given the choice to run with AROSC, I'd choose the Azenis and not be penalized for the "r" compounds. In my opinion the a032's are bottom of the barrel in the "r" compound. (which is what I'll be racing on in the enduro). Not my car and I didn't pay for them so I won't complain.

-Daryl DeArman

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Quickshoe said:
.....In my opinion the a032's are bottom of the barrel in the "r" compound.......

-Daryl DeArman
What don't you like about them? I was thinking about a set for street use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 032's don't develop the grip that the other "r" tires do.

Their initial turn in response isn't as quick as the others.

I'm not certain how they would work as a street tire. I'd imagine that their grip would be better than almost anything else out there. There tread life would probably be pretty disappointing.

From what I hear, no personal experience, the Falken Azenis Sports make about the best dual purpose tire.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts