Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a '72 Spider next week and I have been told it has P400's on it. I am assuming I am going to have to replace them. I was looking at past threads and it sounds like the recommendation is to use a 195/65r14, 185/70r14 or a 205/60r14. When I started looking around and talked to TireRack they are suggesting a 195/60/r14 BFGoorich gForce Super Sport A/S (H/V rated) since I will be doing some auto crossing in it. It is OK to use a 60? They said in the other sizes I won't find a good sport tire? I went on other sites and that sounds about right. Any thoughts ... Help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look great - but probably a little too geared towards the auto crossing. The tread wear is probably a bit of an issue. We have lots of heavy downpours in Western NC - so great WET use is important too.

It looks like Vulcan has another interesting tire. Does anyone have experience with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum KU27 - 195/60R14 (Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum KU27 195/60R14 Tires for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

I read a review on another Kumho Ecsta tire that was on a track against a number of better known tires and it won hands down as the desired tire overall.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found them on TireRack and they didn't place them in High Performance like Vulcan did. Read some of the reviews and there were concerns expressed about the steering feeling a little less responsive.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I have those Falkens. Like them a lot. Auto crossing is going to wreck any tire, really. I don't worry about tread wear on my car. I only drive it 2 or 3 thousand miles a year. I'd rather wear out a good performance tire than replace a higher-mileage tire with tread still on it just because it gets too old.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny. I came to the same conclusion this morning after realizing that I was not going to use all the tread before I'd probably replace them anyway. So used to balancing performance and daily use ... not an issue here. So ... are they great on windy roads? How is wet traction? Road noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does look like you can find the better tires with the 195/60r14 size. Am I going to run into any problems with the speedometer or revs?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I use 185/70-14s. They handle fine and look size and period correct. If you're going to autocross, you might want something else.
Hey John, just wondering where you are finding tires that size that do justice to the handling of our cars.
Used to not be a problem but those days are gone I fear....

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
They run down the road pretty quietly, squeal some in the corners. They're definitely not super-sticky "max performance" tires but for the size I think they're about the best going. They have good wet traction and all around good handling. I live in the mountains.

They're not the best tire I've ever had but they're pretty good. As mentioned, not a lot of choices in any of these sizes.

Your speedo will be a couple of percentage points faster.

C

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the Sumitomo HTR A/V P01's just too soft? The only other High performance tire at Tire Rack beside the BF Goodrich. Closing out.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I don't worry about tread wear on my car. I only drive it 2 or 3 thousand miles a year. I'd rather wear out a good performance tire than replace a higher-mileage tire with tread still on it just because it gets too old.

Chris
+1

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wound up going with the 195/60/r14 BFGoodrich gForce Super Sport A/S (H/V rated) tires. The Western North Carolina mountains have some torrential downpours a few times a week in the summer and these tires are supposed to be much better in the rain. The year before we had rain just about every autocross event - so decided to go with the better wet traction. I'll let you know how they work. Turns out the P400's on the car are from 1999. Wow!

Thanks for all the help and thoughts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts