Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dunlop and Avon make historically correct racing tires (tyres) for the GTAm. You might also enquire of Hoover about their Vintage TD series,which has a period-correct tread pattern.

David

·
Richard Jemison
7,981 Posts
Tires

Goodyear 23.5 x 10 x 13 Pt# 803-300-158
Hoosier 10.0 /23.0/13 Pt # 37160

Both are short track (asphalt) tires. :eek:
Short Track racing is ALL ABOUT the tires.:p

Only ran the Goodyears (on Alfa GT2 in pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I don't think any of the Hoosiers would be legal for vintage racing. The asphalt short-track tire Richard pointed to is a slick. They don't make a Street TD in anywhere near the right size for a 13x8 to 13x9 from what I can see.

Erik

·
Richard Jemison
7,981 Posts
Tires

Whaa?????

"RACERS" race on SLICKS!

:pIs this another car for the weekend "parades"????:p

O.K. I`m Ready!
(Notice it has "treaded tires")
The parts falling off of this car are of the finest British craftmanship.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Richard, as old as you are, surely you remember that "slicks" are a fairly recent invention!:)

Erik

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys.

Looks like Kumho also does Victoracers in 235/50/13, which would probably work and should have enough tread to qualify.

Now to figure out what brakes and uprights will work!! :confused:

John Corbs

·
Registered
354 Posts
tires

John-
I can relate to your dilemma.....I have the GTAm replica wheels on my car in 13x8. I have Dunlop M-series (Vintage race rubber) on mine from Sascosports. One of the issues with the 13 inch wheels is that you are very limited in tire selection. Sounds like the Kumhos will work in that size. Keep in mind, my car is still being built, but don't underestimate overall tire diameter in your choices. Many of the modern rubber options will get you to about 21 inches of overall diameter ...could be an issue with gearing...depending.
Once you solve the tire dilemma you will now face the brake caliper dilemma. I bought a set of ATE Porsche aluminum RS calipers off Ebay that I think will work. They will require a bit of "shaving" for clearance (they just rub the inside of the wheel a bit). It's possible you may be able to grind off enough material on a stock caliper (I gave up on mine with the dremel tool!) There are aftermarket options, but most of the vintage rules specify period correct calipers (which will rule out 4 piston or greater)
Anyway, not sure if any of this is of value, but hope it helps avoid some pitfalls

-JT

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JT:

You are on the money.

The calipers appear to be a big issue.

That said, I gather that some of the replicas built in Europe have used aluminum Brembos (not sure the source?) and report great braking ability in race conditions (I know, relative to what?)

It appears that the uprights and steering arms are also a challenge?

Have you run into this........what is your "base" car?

John Corbs

·
Registered
354 Posts
wheels, tires and brakes

JT:

You are on the money.

The calipers appear to be a big issue.

That said, I gather that some of the replicas built in Europe have used aluminum Brembos (not sure the source?) and report great braking ability in race conditions (I know, relative to what?)

It appears that the uprights and steering arms are also a challenge?

Have you run into this........what is your "base" car?

John Corbs
John - I believe my car is a '68 Jr body (I'd have to check...it was a basket case when I bought it!)
As far as the uprights go, I'm leaving that to some more expert than myself. I honestly can't remember whether the early or late style is the right option. If someone else doesn't chime in in the meantime, I'll find out and let you know. I'll try to get a side by side pic of the 2 brake calipers as well

-JT

·
Richard Jemison
7,981 Posts
Old???

Richard, as old as you are, surely you remember that "slicks" are a fairly recent invention!
You & JJ:rolleyes:

How far back do we need to go?

Just how old do we have to get? When did Goodyear "BlueStreaks" begin being used?

First pic about 1969/70, 2nd 1972, 3rd 1974
The guy in the drivers suit behind car is Joe Locarrio of GTA/TransAm history

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Oh my, what did I say to get lumped with JJ?:eek: Whether they were allowed by the '72 GCR or not, most vintage organizations seem to specifically outlaw any non-treaded tires on our GTV/GTA/GTAm race cars.

I'm curious, did the Joe Locarrio you mention later race an Alfetta in Showroom Stock B (SSB)? I remember watching a Joe Locario race at MAR (STL) in an Alfetta. This Joe was still pretty competitive at the young age of 72!

Erik

·
Richard Jemison
7,981 Posts
Joe Loccario

I'm curious, did the Joe Locarrio you mention later race an Alfetta in Showroom Stock B (SSB)? I remember watching a Joe Locario race at MAR (STL) in an Alfetta. This Joe was still pretty competitive at the young age of 72!

Erik
Has to be the same. He was no spring chicken in the days that was taken. He still had the GTA and was club racing a red 1750 DP Spider.
I last talked with him in 1996. Back in the day he was the Alfa Dealer in Houston, Tx. A really nice man and mentor.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Joe Locario

Has to be the same. He was no spring chicken in the days that was taken. He still had the GTA and was club racing a red 1750 DP Spider.
I last talked with him in 1996. Back in the day he was the Alfa Dealer in Houston, Tx. A really nice man and mentor.
Hi Richard, I have Joe Locario's GTA RHD, Is there a # you could PM me as I would like to talk to you about Joe.
Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since I am a Group Rep in a vintage orginization I can tell you that the thinking for us is that if you allow one group to run Hoosiers then everyone will want to and the problem with that is 2 fold. Many of the older cars suspensions were not designed to handle the loads Hoosiers could place on them(safety) and the cost to run Hoosiers is very high and much more than many of the racers could afford to stay at the front or even middle of the pack(cost containment...sounds like F1?). Makes sense to me.

Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is it sill in the container? I wanna see pics!
I have a four post alignment rack going in this week, and two race cars to
complete. The GTA will move to it's new home in about 60 days, I'll make sure
you and the Simon have the first images.
Cheers,

1 - 20 of 69 Posts