Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheel size

Thanks-Wheels were 15" standard on 91-94's (right?) and I wonder whether Alfa had made any mods to the frame\chassis? It's about a $1000 for Panasports plus tires and mounting, so I'd like to make sure before a plunge into the green ($$$$$) zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Lovely!
Yes 15" was standard on Veloce.

Check out discounttiredirect.com. You can search wheels by bolt pattern.

I got wheels and tires mounted and balanced delivered for under $800

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
not many aftermarkets listed for the spider. so as a tip Ford & peugeot FWD models with 4 studs are the same bolt pattern. just check that the offset is somewhere around the 36mm area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why?

Hi wesley55,
Sorry, it's just my opinion, but why you want 15 inch or 16 inch wheels for your nice classy looking duetto? The original 6x14 size like you have now is a best fit for these older spiders... 15 or 16 will kill nice classy feeling...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
classic wheels

Panasports are a classic wheel that dates way back. I'm asking about the wheels because a hi output engine (V6 in my future?-see Roman Racing) needs some rubber on the asphalt. I realize this is a matter of taste and I've read a number of comments espousing anyone who changes an Alfa is ruining it. But to me it's about fun and my opinion is Alfa let us down as far as upgrading the Spider. The new Alfa models like the GTA's series have put Alfa out in front again. The 69's were hot cars in their day, then Alfa just sort of seemed to lose interest as far as keeping up the spider until it's latest cars. (Tight budgets, pencilhead beancounters, who knows) So l'll just mess around with my cars like I did in the 70's and have fun. Ciao

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Wesley:

First, beautiful car. She looks very nice.

My two cents on the wheels. I agree with 'alfist' but for different reasons. I think the 14x6 daytonas are just as adequate to put rubber down. On my 78 that is built up to around 180hp I use a more recent daytona 14 x 6 made from Mag/aluminum alloy with a 215 60 14 tire size. I have lower performance springs and shocks and I never rub. I doubt you will be putting anything wider on the duetto than a 215. The big benefits of the larger wheels will be a lower profile tire and perhaps a little less body roll. But they come with a stiffer ride and substantially heavier wheel than your magnesium cromodoras which are highly desired.

I can also attest that on my 92 with stock springs and shocks and 15 inch phone dial wheels with higher speed rated tires, it handles much worse than my 78 with performance springs and shocks and 14 inch daytonas (like yours). I think you would be better served by keeping your existing wheels with 215 60 tires and investing your money on the suspension.

Well thats been my experience. In any case great car. Be sure to posts some pics once you got that v6 dropped under the hood.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
suspension

Thanks, that's a great reply-knowledge like your experience was what I was after. Yes, they are magnesium and cost me a pretty peeeennnnnnney when I bought them in 1978.(Ouch, long time ago). But the suspension involves springs I think came from Ward & Dean (brothers purchase), but I do need new bushings and a chassis stiffener. What I really wish Alfa (day dreamer) had done was V6, rear tranny like a Milano\Alfetta\69 Ferrari Spyder, but I ain't got a free 140K to 160K for a Ferrari Spyder. I was always disappointed getting smoked off the line growing up, but they couldn't keep up with me in the corners.
Stay tuned,cleaned up interior from reoriginals coming and that V6 will probably be better suited in a 91-94.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Good to hear Wesley:

Add a set of Koni reds to your list to go with the W&D Springs. I agree on the power lacking on the spider. My 9 year old son just road in the 92 today for the first time and he said, "I think this is a slow car". He also refers to the 78 as a race car. I am on a quest to hit the 225hp mark with the 92. She is completely stock. Supercharging or turbocharging will most likely be the only way. In any case, I won't put up with its slow pickup for long. That cat has to go. K&N drop in. Chip her. Got to get some power! On your Duetto, you can generate some power out of that motor with appropriate cams, high compression pistons, etc. And you will be amazed with the difference. She won't be kicking any 350z's around, but at least you will be able to spank the minivans and SUVs and others.

On your cromodoras, casting on those look like the older style. They are very sharp and from my understanding among the lightest of that style as they had a much higher content of magnesium. What ever you decide in regards to wheel selection, hold on to them.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you

I plead guilty to 2.0 liters, higher compression, 11 mm cams, Bilstein shocks and a few new clutch discs in college.

I recently got a kick out of watching Carlos face rcently at Alfa of Tacoma grousing about people who mess with anything but what their cars come with, ie one should be happy with a 1300 cc engine if that's what their spider came with.

My comment about better in 91-94 Spiders referred to the center well modification in a Nick Muto conversion, which then is covered by the center consoles found in more recent Spiders, 71 on I think. There's just an ashtray in 66-70 rounddtails.

Sincerely Wes

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Wes:

Sounds like you are well on your way to a very very nice ride. Get some 215 60s and watch your smile broaden. I think they will give you what you are looking for. Especially since you got the springs and shocks already in place. Suspension bushings as you stated are a good idea and will help alot too in a car of era like yours and mine. Lots of play in those by now. What are you planning on doing with the Duetto? Historic races?

I personally say put as much power under the hood as you can as long as it doesn't require cutting the car in half to fit it under the hood. The tastefully done the better of course. And to me its all about the project and having fun once its completed. If you enjoy putting around then leave it stock. If you like a sportier feel, build her up. In short, make her how you want her and will enjoy her. And don't apologize to anyone for that.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts