Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off a newly acquired set of never-mounted 25 year-old Cromodora Daytona wheels to get tires mounted and got a call back from the shop saying they ran into a problem. They found that the valve stem hole is smaller than any stems they have in stock. They didn't tell me what the hole diameter is. I've never had this issue with UK or European wheels before. While the shop is researching alternatives, I thought this group might be able to shed some light on the situation.

The seller told me the wheels had been purchased from Centerline about 25 years ago. They appear to have been from a production run that Frank Hanel in Germany arranged. A CD6xx model number and "Made in Italy" are stamped on the back of the hub.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is it possible they require bolt-on stems or motorcycle-spec stems?

As an aside, I also found that the hub center is 54mm in diameter, and no one carries Alfa or Cromodora center caps for this I.D. I found a guy in Portugal who makes plastic caps and Alfa logo badges to match that size, so that problem is resolved.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I dropped off a newly acquired set of never-mounted 25 year-old Cromodora Daytona wheels to get tires mounted and got a call back from the shop saying they ran into a problem. They found that the valve stem hole is smaller than any stems they have in stock. Any ideas or suggestions?
How about:

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Is the hole close to a standard size? Is there enough material to drill it? (Jay beat me to it)
You definitely need to know the hole size.

I just checked the website of a French tire equipment distributor and nothing looks smaller than standard.

If all else fails, you could always try to PM Joe Cab from Centerline who's a member here.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some more detail from the tire shop. It sounds like the hole is a standard size but there’s a machined recess around the hole that would keep the base on a regular valve stem from seating properly. They’re researching bolt in stems.

I’ll post the putcome

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I had a set of BWA rims like that ages ago. It's fuzzy, but I think the tire shop came with the same solution.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Seeing a photo of the inside of your wheel would help but they make valve stems that are flat on the inside with rubber and use a nut on the outside that threads down for to seal the stem. You might want to suggest this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are at the tire shop, so I can’t provide a picture, but the shop is researching a bolt down valve.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes a bolt down valve is what I was refering to. I had them on a set of jeep CJ5 wheels years ago.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update that may help others:

The valve stem holes in the wheels are 8mm or about 5/16” in diameter, smaller than any regular automotive application. I found a set of 1/4” bolt in stems at Summit Racing specific to a model of Weld Racing wheels. I received them yesterday and my tire shop guy thinks they’ll work. I’ll know later today.

If they don’t work, I’ll try a set of 8mm stems that I just found on an ATV supplier’s website.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To wrap up the story: the 1/4” valve stems fit and work.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks: So often we never know if or what solved the problem.
(or if the problem was solved)

It's really nice to have someone tell us "the rest of the story" as that guy on the radio used to say long ago. Some of you younger guy never heard him.. Look up that phrase on Google. You will learn a little about our countries history when half of the country didn't think that the "conservatives" were the bad people.

The times they are a changing..

No, I'm not saying they are bad.. But that's a topic that will get this discussion shut down....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts