Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , Im new to the forum , Ive just purchased a 66 giulia sprint gt veloce
,I plan on driving it, not racing it, what would be the best tire spec for this car. This alfa still had the 1984 licence plate sticker on the car, car literally has been stored for 30 yrs , 3 dime size rust holes on drivers door and all original matching numbers. Any expertise out there would be
much appreciated, Thanks Kempton

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1966 giulia sprint gt veloce

Hi there , Im new to the alfa forum, and have just purchased a very nice all original 66 gt. Can anyone give me their take on the best tires to buy for this model. It will be driven mainly on hwys , summer only , and wont be raced.
It still had the licence plates on it with a 1984 sticker. The car has had 2 owners since 1966 and approx. 58,000 kms. I know these cars can be really bad on rust, so far the only rust is on the drivers door , 3 dimes size spots. Panels and chrome are essentially perfect . It will need some work for , but looks like a nice one. Lastly can anyone suggest how to check out the carbs,Thanks Kempton

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andrew , yes it has original 15s, the 165s might look better and probably will handle as well

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So how good are the Avon CR6ZZ series in a 155 R15 size for daily use (wet, dry driving) ? Anyone running them? I'm seriously considering them for my SGT.

Either that size or another in the same series? There's not a lot of info on early 105 owners out there running these tyres.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
The CR6ZZ 175 tyres which used to be on my car were terrific and I will be returning to them after my Vredestein Sprint Classic 'experiment'. You will want to specify the harder compound for reasons of longevity and, if NVH levels are a priority, you might think twice about a stiff suspension set-up as the sidewalls are very firm. Since you were planning to build a hot engine for your car, with brakes to match, I would think that 155 tyres (with a tread width of only 4.3") would probably be insufficient for what you need. The only problem is that they are very expensive unless you know someone, who knows someone ....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They're for my original 65 GT, Not the GTV.

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure what they're asking for them in the UK but $345 each is not over the top.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I never cheap out on the inches that hold my car to the road. Especially when it's only 5" per corner.

I'm sure you'll agree that there's only a few things worse than driving on horrible tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
.... it has original 15s, the 165s might look better and probably will handle as well
From a purely visual perspective, 155's will look "right", while 165's will simply look too big. All else being equal, I doubt there is any noticeable handling difference between the two sizes.

Alex said:
The CR6ZZ 175 tyres which used to be on my car were terrific and I will be returning to them after my Vredestein Sprint Classic 'experiment'.
Alex: Please tell us more about your Vredestein Sprint Classic 'experiment'. Sounds like it didn't go well. I have always had good luck with Vredestein Sprint Classics.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I never cheap out on the inches that hold my car to the road. Especially when it's only 5" per corner.

I'm sure you'll agree that there's only a few things worse than driving on horrible tires.
Crap tyres can be entertaining - however, $345 a corner for skinny track compound tyres to get a "look" is ridiculous, sorry.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
But it's the look of love.

Another few major jobs in the queue before I get to tires.

175's or 155's. The decision rages.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I think we have gone a bit off and lost the original poster's question.......
For his bone stock '66, I can heartily recommend the Vredestein 155-15 tires. Quite smooth, good grip in wet or dry. Much better compound than the original Pirelli tires.
Avons are very pricy, but are the choice for racers who have to keep close to a stock size.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Alex:

I'd love to hear about your experience with the Avon CR6ZZ's.

1) How many miles do you get out of them? I only drive my GTV about 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year. If I get 8,000 to 10,000 miles out of them that would be fine as they'd be old enough to warrant tossing by then anyway.

2. I read on another forum where someone with Avons complained that they were so sticky that they threw up a lot of sand and gravel on the rocker panels sandblasting and dinging them. Did you have any issues with this?

Bob Stewart
'73 GTV

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Alex:

I'd love to hear about your experience with the Avon CR6ZZ's.

1) How many miles do you get out of them? I only drive my GTV about 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year. If I get 8,000 to 10,000 miles out of them that would be fine as they'd be old enough to warrant tossing by then anyway.

2. I read on another forum where someone with Avons complained that they were so sticky that they threw up a lot of sand and gravel on the rocker panels sandblasting and dinging them. Did you have any issues with this?

Bob Stewart
'73 GTV
They're intended as a race tyre - #2 is a given.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi

Vredestein make a cheapo 155R15, but it isn't a period tyre.

the 155HR15 Avon CR6ZZ is a good racing tyre in that size, but the 155HR15 Michelin XAS FF i would suggest would be better, specially for road race. However if you are going all out racing and you have modified your car to suit wider tyres then Avon make the 175/70HR15 Avon CR6ZZ which is good for track if you have wide wheels, adverse camber and modified steering.

For handling on the road and originality it's got to be 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturatos like this

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts