Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo I'm going to start working on the '74 spider... it's been under a cover in the back of our warehouse since the unfortunate incident of 2006, 'nuff about that. Out of sight out of mind has kept me from doing anything with it and this neglect must come to an end. The Scirocco's are going to the warehouse and the Alfa is coming home and taking the center of the garage so work can being.

Well I need two new rims and I've already sourced a couple of Turbinas and purchased new set of four 185/70-14's to mount but now I'm thinking I might want to go a slightly different direction...

I searched the forum but can't find any good info on tire and wheel combinations if I decide to go to 15". My calculations say that I can run a 195/60-14 on a 15" rim and have basically the same rolling diameter as with the stock set. I don't want to go to a 16" since I'm not sure this will look good on a S2 car.

The car's new destiny will be autocross and some track time... Any suggestions? 15" or 16"? Recommended tire size?

I know a few of you race/autocross your Alfa's so speak up and share,

Thanks!
-Raffi

·
Registered
532 Posts
This might help you compare the various sizes:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I've got 195/60HR14's on both my '74 and '87 Spiders, but on my '92 I've got 205/50ZR16's, and all work well for their intended purpose, and look good. The only set that's really the "correct" diameter, though, is what's on the '92.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For racing type work, 195/60 14, 195/55 15 are the popular numbers down under.

This is because they slighly under gear the car and tyre choice is better. Both sizes really like a 6 inch rim though (7 is even better). I have run 195/60 14 on 14x5.5 steel rims pretty successfully though, so don't sweat it if you are stuck with the narrower gear.

You can go wider to 205, but that is about the limit without guard work. I don't think the steering really likes wider tyres as you go from a long skinny contact patch to a short fat one and the self aligning torque goes to hell and the steering loses its appeal (105's have great steering and its a shame to stuff it up unnecessarily).

In terms of tyres, get the best compound you can afford - is the most cost effective way to make it fast on the track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts