Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 and need to "re-tire" it. Since 165's ,which the oem tires were, are difficult or impossible to find, what sizes are folks using these days which fit well on the 5 1/2 rims and allow full clearance to the fenders and frame?

TIA

Rusty

·
Registered
108 Posts
185/70/14 fit the rims, work well, and have a similar rolling circumference to the full profile 165s, so gearing is not impacted.

The steering is slightly heavier, dry road grip higher though.

165s are easy to get (though usually need to be ordered) in the UK, maybe not so easy elsewhere. 185/70s are common, and inexpensive.

Jonathan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
185/70/14 fit the rims, work well, and have a similar rolling circumference to the full profile 165s, so gearing is not impacted.

The steering is slightly heavier, dry road grip higher though.

165s are easy to get (though usually need to be ordered) in the UK, maybe not so easy elsewhere. 185/70s are common, and inexpensive.

Jonathan
Thank you Jonathan..

Rusty

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,032 Posts
Spider Tires

I've used in the distant past (on a '69) without any clearance problems, Michelin XWX 195-VR 70-14's. These are aobut the maximum. These with a Shankle street suspension kit. I recently put on Yoki AVS ES-100's in 185-HR-60 and they are too small (and rough). These with Cromadora Daytona 6x14 (22mm offset) rims. Have not tried either with stock 5 1/2" rims. Bruce

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bruce, I just ordered a set of BF Goodrich 185/70TR14's. I'll Let the list know how it goes.
Rusty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts