Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which tire size is best on a street driven GTV. 14 and 15 inch wheels.I am currently running 205 /60 /14 is a 195 /65 /14 a better choice. I also am getting a set of Panasports 15"x what should I go for 6" or 7".

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hi Smithy and welcome to the AlfaBB. This topic has been covered a billion times.

Go to the search tab on the red bar (not the search field in the banner at the top of the page) and click it. Then click the "Advanced Search" button. Then type in "tire size" or "tire sizes" and click the box next to "GT" forum. Then click "search". Tons of results will appear.

Short answer to your question is this: For a "street driven GTV"... LESS IS MORE.

Tire size is entirely personal preference. There really is no "best" tire size. A 195/65/14 (what I'm currently running and happy with) is closer to original size than your current 205/60/14. The 195s will be easier to turn at low speeds and you will notice no appreciable loss of grip and no bump steer (like "some" 205s can induce). However, 195/65/14 tires are getting VERY limited (3 choices @ TireRack.com the last time I checked about a month ago). Personally, I'm going to switch to 185/70/14 on my next set (15+ choices @ TireRack). Even closer to original size, even easier to turn at low speeds, and from what I've been told, make the car handle with an amazingly agile feel.

I don't care for the 15" look, so I've never tried them. I'm sure someone will chime in about them also you'll read lots of 15" wheel comments in your search results.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yes as per above 185/70 14 is as close to original as possible now 195/65 14 is a good alternative, if you can find suitable tyres 195/60 14 significantly increases tyre availability, but reduces gearing and ground clearance a bit (worth it for good tyres) 205/60 14 is a good size too, if you can get the tyres and have 6 inch rims

for 15s, 195/60 15 is a good size for general duties and tyre availabilty should be fine 205/55 or 205/50 will be more sporty and work better on a 7 or 8 inch rim

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I bought my GTV it had 185/70x14 but the GTA replica wheels had the wrong offset. This year I swapped the wheels for some 6inch GTA replicas and replaced the 185/70x14. The car is now an obsolute joy to drive, so nimble and agile just as I suspect the designers intended. My advice is to stick to the stock wheels if you have them and 185/70x14 tyres as these were a standard fit or option at least on the later cars. If you have to go for new alloys check the offset carefully and be careful about going above 6 inch for a road car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the tips, last time I played with this car was 15 years ago when fat tires was all I knew. I found a 185/70/14 mounted on a spare roller wheel in the shed and put it on the car and it just looks right.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Let us know how it turns out Smithy. You've had your GTV for 15 years? Post some photos please!!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
The "golden mean" for 105 car tires (i.e., something that doesn't change gear ratios, ride height, etc.) is a tire with a dia. of plus/minus 24.4 (the designed tire height). This makes a 195x6515 a bit too tall. A 195x60x15 is better but, again IMHO, a 185x65x15 would be the best combination for a primarily street driven cars. Much bigger than that and you'll have the tires driving the car rather than the car driving the tires. Something gets lost when you add big tires.

Personally, I've gone through this exact same decision process for my Super's tires. I've decided to stick with 14x6 Campy Daytonas and either my 165x14 Verdesteins or 185x70x14 Sumitomos.

There are some good discussions here on the bb about the stresses put on steering boxes from big tires. I wouldn't go over 6" in wheel width.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know how it turns out Smithy. You've had your GTV for 15 years? Post some photos please!!!
I have had the car 20 years and just finished a 7 year restomod on a 1964 2 door Falcon wagon, first place in its class first show. Now back on the Alfa, I think I am going with the Sumitomos and I will post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I think I am going with the Sumitomos and I will post some pictures soon.
Don't forget to check TireRack.com (even if you buy your tires elsewhere). They have a huge selection of 185/70/14s including some highly rated Pirellis. I've found the customer survey to be helpful a few times and have been very satisfied with the results. No they didn't pay me to say that (but if any Tirerack reps are reading this feel free to mail me a huge check :D).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget to check TireRack.com (even if you buy your tires elsewhere). They have a huge selection of 185/70/14s including some highly rated Pirellis. I've found the customer survey to be helpful a few times and have been very satisfied with the results. No they didn't pay me to say that (but if any Tirerack reps are reading this feel free to mail me a huge check :D).
You are on it the P4 Pirellis have a good rating and are available in the size I want , Tire Rack one day to my house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts