Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I have had both types on several Alfa’s. I also sold both Koni and Bilstein while I worked for BAP/Geon.

For me, it is simple.

Use Koni whenever possible, and that includes all Alfa’s. Use Bilstein only on cars originally equipped with pressurized shocks.

Note that pressurized shocks come in high and low pressure. If your car came with low pressure (Alfa’s never had pressurized shocks), then you’re ok to replace with Konis. If your car came with high pressure shocks, Bilstein is probably the best choice.

Putting Bilsteins on an Alfa will slightly raise the ride-height, and stiffen the ride unpleasantly.

Others will disagree.

The new BB admins won’t let me edit my signature, or there would be two more on the list. All except the newest ended up with Konis, except the Montreal, which already had newish Bilsteins. Hated them.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
I put a set of the Bilsteins on our Milano not that many years ago. Thinking of puttng the original OEM shocks back on, or maybe Konis, as the wife thinks the Bils are too stiff. It is her DD, so...

Not many miles on them yet. Will probably sell them to who ever wants them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nikki Lauda and James Hunt both ran Konis.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I prefer konis as you can adjust them,
others like bils for the exact opposite.
pick your posoin, but for me its always koni sports

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,478 Posts
My Milano had gas shocks on it when I got it. They sucked. My GTV had Bilsteins on it when I got it. They also sucked. I put Konis on both.

The Koni yellows work amazingly well on the Milano, even with an otherwise stock suspension.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Yup. I think the Bilsteins are a little too stiff for a DD on the typical crappy suburban streets, esp with the Shankle lowering springs/suspension on the car. I think I will put the stock ones back on, as I think they are still ok, not that many miles on them, and sell the Bilsteins to someone who might want a stiffer ride. Would be ok on the track.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi Del
I’ll buy your used Bilsteins.
Tom, Reno

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
What Gubi said about Koni yellows on a Milano. Conversely, my experience with Koni reds on a Milano was not good -- they were waay too stiff, and both rears eventually failed. Someone later told me that those reds were really intended for Alfettas. In any case, replaced reds with yellows and was very happy.

·
Premium Member
13,984 Posts
Nikki Lauda and James Hunt both ran Konis.
The reason the racers of that period all used Konis was the superb technical service from the factory. Koni were represented at every major race.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
"I’ll buy your used Bilsteins"

Tom, let me look into it. Lol, I have to check to see if I still have the OEM's. Also, the wife might have something to say about it. Will get back to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts