Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Tire clearence problems

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Subtle 
#1 ·
Just put a new set of 165x15's on my 61 spider and like has been said there is some problems with rubbing the front fender on the drivers side. It looks like that side is lower than the other. In fact it looks like the car is somewhat lower all around as opposed to what I've seen as the stock height.
Is there a way to raise the car back up to stock? Springs perhaps? Don't know. Any help here?
Tom

#2 ·
Check out this current thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?p=395685#post395685 on spring spacers. While our cars are much older, the story is much the same.

If one side is indeed lower than the other, you will need to troubleshoot that. One spring may have sagged, in which case you will need new/different springs.

Many have done it, but I never had much luck running 165x15's. Hitting a bump while cornering hard always rubbed.

#3 ·
those tires are just too tall for the Spiders. Your best bet is to sell them to a VW Bug owner and get the right size. My first Spider came with that size, and besides rubbing, the handling was weird with that tall of a sidewall.

There are some 165 HR65 15 tires at the Tire rack now if you want a slightly wider tire than the 155 stock size.

I like the Centerline springs for the 101 Spiders. Lowers the car a bit, but the ride is actually improved, and still plenty of clearance

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the help. I like these tires as I've used them on early 911's and they work fine. I'd like to try and address the ride height issues first as I believe the car is too low. Not great on the dirt roads and holes up here. Does anyone know if those spring spacers are available and where? Or is there anything generic from the local auto parts store that can be used?
Solutions?

#9 ·
Don't know if the spacers are missing or not. In any case looks like I'll need 3/8" to 1/2" to get me the 2x lift I need. Maybe I should just bring the car over to Alfas Unlimited and see what they think. It does need a few things like all these old cars.
Anyway what fun is a car that needs nothing, leaves the owner with nothing to do.
Tom

#11 · (Edited)
Installed Continental Pros on the Fergat steel wheels --4.5 wide. This is the tire made for the new Mini Cooper. 175/65/15. They are a modern tire with a "vintage" look.

Finally had the chance to really use them when on the Monte Shelton Rally in western Oregon.

The back roads are fabulous -- paved, but with some humpy-bumpies.

Two up in the Spider with enough baggage for a couple of days of travelling after the event. So the car was loaded --no bottoming out on the front end--the 2 L sump hangs down quite a bit, and no tire rub.

Stock, but fresh springs and shocks set at the correct ride height.:D

#12 ·
Subtle,

I'd be really interested to hear more about your experience with these new tires, as I'm due to replace my Avon CR6ZZ 175/70-15 tires before long and I'm looking into other options, including the new offering from Blockley Tires.

Alex.

#15 ·
Subtle,

I'd be really interested to hear more about your experience with these new tires, as I'm due to replace my Avon CR6ZZ 175/70-15 tires before long and I'm looking into other options, including the new offering from Blockley Tires.

Alex.[/QUOTE

Alex

The Contis are v. good, but the 175/65/15 are about .4 of an inch less in dia. than the original 155/78/15.

For looks I would consider a taller tire.

How are the Avons on wet roads--we do line in a rain forest.:p

#16 ·
Update

The almost .5 inch smaller diameter(than 155s) 175/65/15 tires look too small relative to the tire well. But the tires that came with the car had no traction-even in the dry, and I knew that the 175s would fit without fussing around.

Also it makes for lower gearing and a lower ride height. As it is now, the front is a little too high, which has been OK as the 2L oil pan hangs down by 1.5 inches.

New plan: Have ordered a set of Conti 185/65/15, which are the same dia as the original 155s. This will raise the ride height by 1/4 inch as well more suitably fill the space. Somewhat taller gearing is good, and a friend can fit the 175s on his lowered 101 Sprint.:)

This then will make lowering the front by 3/8 easier to live with.:)

The alloy SZ replica wheels are thicker than the steel ones and the fronts will likely need spacers, so I've ordered a set of longer wheel bolts( 60mm long from the bolt head).

#18 ·
Five-inch wide wheels will fit 101s, my problem is going from a 175/65/15 tire to a 185/65/15. Five and half-inch interfere with the steering things.

With the right spacers, Gio is running the bigger size on his SS, which has less room than the usual 101s.

#19 ·
The tire "diameter" is the problem and the rub is usually at the front of the fender not the top, although the top is where the fender will buckle if you hit a bump with the wheel turned. See pictures attached. This does not happen on all Spiders, but does on many. Look closely, the wheel arch is not parallel with the tire diameter, it is closer at the front. The Centerline catalog has a nice description of tire diameter, you need a tire diameter around 24.5_ inches. Although there are many who prefer the skinny "shaved poodle leg" look of the 155's, I much prefer the wider tires to make the cars look like they are part of Alfa's racing heritage, 185's or wider. Hope this helps.

Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

Attachments

#23 ·
Alex, I have had some success with the Vredesteins in the 155 size on my Spider Veloce and SZ. They also look good in the wheel arch and of course do have a lower stance than a 165. The 175/70 x 15 on my Spider has given me very heavy steering and a diminished self-centering..I will revert to the Vredestein.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.