Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that after the car has sat for 20 years with new tires , still with nubs on them, size on these tires is 165/80r15 and they will need replacing(they are pricey), but due to an engine rebuild, I am on a budget...do I go with a different rim and tire size ,as car is stock or just buy new tires...I am thinking of keeping car the stock ride height as the family will ride in it, or is there a good overall size for rim and tire, with minor suspension work and or body work, as I am doing that part myself, that the car could handle a little better with minimal expense.....I was thinking about a 14 inch wheel , but that also would affect the highway rpms and through off the speedo..................well any advise would be great thanks

·
9,929 Posts
I have found that after the car has sat for 20 years with new tires , still with nubs on them, size on these tires is 165/80r15 and they will need replacing
TWENTY years? Yes, those tires do need replacing!

I am on a budget...do I go with a different rim and tire size ,as car is stock or just buy new tires...I am thinking of keeping car the stock ride height....
If you are trying to save money, I'd think the least expensive route would be just get new tires. If you change tire diameter, by the time you buy new tires and wheels, I can't imagine the total would be cheaper.

Have you priced Vredestein tires? I have bought tires for my Giulia from Tires Unlimited, an online Vredestein dealer, who currently offers 165/80r15's for $62.04 apiece. See: http://tiresunlimitedol.ezytire.com/tires/search/?width=165&aspect=80&rim=15&search=Search

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
When I was much younger, I bought a new Super in 1969 and drove very aggressively. Did a season of "Novice Racing" and generally used up tires. Always had what was considered the "best".

Sad part is that it rusted out in nine years.

More recently, have had the Vred "Classic" on three different Alfas and they are very good and not expensive.

Seem to be about 30 to 40% better adhesion that the "best" of 1970.

That's in the wet or dry.

These days, 15-inch wheels are "cooler" than the 14s.

:cool2::cool2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you AlfaJay. I appreciate the help and Subtle you too for chimming in and giving me your experience with them...I will look into it guys

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Vredestien tire are a good choice for Alfas !
Stock size is 155(80)-15 and the car will perform great with this size. Be carefull not to use "big tires for better handling" ! Alfa designed the cars with the right tire for the best overall performance. Steering will be heavier with fat tires !
Strangely, sometimes the 165-15 are cheaper but will work as well with a little RPM difference as they are taller than stock. I also have 165 on my 101 spider.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you 101/105 guy....I really appreciate the help...I have a huge project ahead of me,as car has sat for 20+years and I am doing breaks, assembly of an engine and body work...to say the least...ALL on a budget...well enough said..please have a great day sir

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
..I am thinking of keeping car the stock ride height as the family will ride in it, or is there a good overall size for rim and tire, with minor suspension work and or body work, as I am doing that part myself, that the car could handle a little better with minimal expense.....I was thinking about a 14 inch wheel , but that also would affect the highway rpms and through off the speedo..................well any advise would be great thanks
[/QUOTE]

If you want to change to 14in wheels/tires, I recommend you find a set of Turbinas. They're dead cheap and truly excellent designs. They're not popular with Alfesti because they're only 5.5 w/ 35mm offset, but that's perfect for the rear of your Super. A Vredestein 164x14 corresponds to the 24.5 stock tire diameter. Vreds are excellent tires btw. You can also stick to 155x15 with your stock wheels. Both Vred and Firestone make 155x15's. The Firestone's are cheaper but probably very decent tires.

·
9,929 Posts
Vredestien tire are a good choice for Alfas ! Stock size is 155(80)-15 and the car will perform great with this size.
Oops - 101/105guy is right, 155(80)-15 is the correct size for your Alfa, not 165's. 165's are more common, because that is the size that air-cooled Volkswagens used. They'll fit an Alfa, but aren't right.

Tires Unlimited may no longer carry Vredestein 155-15's. They have "improved" their website, so now it's much harder to use: instead of a simple chart listing available sizes, now you have to use one of those dumb search tools, where you enter the width, aspect ratio, and diameter before it tells you that they don't have it. I couldn't find Vredestein 155-15's on the T. U. website, but if I needed them myself, I'd just call them.

180out said:
If you want to change to 14in wheels/tires, I recommend you find a set of Turbinas
I agree with 180out, pretty much every Alfisti has a set of Turbinas out among the weeds in his back yard. So sure, if someone puts a gun to your head and says you have to switch to 14", Turbinas are probably the cheapest wheels you can get. But, you'll have to find a set, pay to ship them and then still need to buy new tires - and after all that, you have incorrect wheels & tires on your Super. Why not just buy a set of 155-15's and be done with it? As long as you stay away from Pirellis, they shouldn't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Cala

What name to like to use?

Where in Washington are you?

I've just discovered that the spare wheel on "Supah" is cracked.

The tires are Vred 165/80/15 and were fresh when I bought the car in June 2013.

I was going to keep these four good tires on the original steel wheels for when the car is sold. ?????. So it makes sense for me to select a good wheel for the spare and use the 155/80/15 that I have. It is virtually the same diameter as the new set of 175/70/15 that are now on the car.

In which case there could be a couple of good 15-inch steel wheels and 4 good Vreds for sale.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Most here don't know about 'inner tubes'.....
I agree about your general choice for older Alfa tires.
The cars work best with similar to original spec tires.

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
Vreds, the best. I've had them on my Super and various Giuliettas.
Inner tubes are not common in the US, and I've had tires shops refuse to install them.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
It is correct that these period wheels, up til when Alfa started forming the bead-holding ridge in the 80s(?), are supposed to have tubes. I would guess only a tiny fraction of folks use tubes. I just put tubes in a couple Giulietta Borranis, on a project roller, because the rims were too deformed/rusty to hold air.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
This has been mentioned before, but it's worth pointing out again here:

The stock Alfa 155x15 diameter is the critical factor in fitting tires. With the 155's it was about 24.7 in diameter plus or minus a few tenths of an inch. This should be your datum measurement because ride height, gear ratios, etc. are all influenced by this OEM measurement. Later 105 Alfas shifted to 165x14in tires and then, later still, to 185x70x14 (at least I think that was an OEM size---not sure).

For sizing tires on a Super or TI these heights and widths are the standards from which you can work with some reliability (i.e., not fitting a tire that will rub the rear inner fender well).

If you spend some time looking for tires, you quickly find that the choices are limited because so few cars use these "old" diameters/widths. Still you can move around using tires with 70 aspect ratios (the 165x70x15's Berlinista recommends or or the 175x70x15 Subtle mentions). These will work because they're within the critical dimensions described above. On my Super, I found that 185x65x15's fitted the 15x6x30 GTA replicas work well, providing just enough clearance (trust me---any larger would have produced rubbing on the fender lip of my car).

So, in my humble opinion, as long as your dimensions stay within the Alfa oem diameters of 24.5 or so height (14 or 15in rims) and a width between 155 and 185mm you'll be OK. That gives you a range of 80, 70, and 65 aspect ratio tires to play with. Just make sure you're within these boundaries and you'll choose tires that will fit the car and not mess up your ride height or axel and gear ratios. Working within this parameter, while I was tempted by some very expensive Avon CRZ66 tires I found some Toyo H rated 185x65x15 tires for about $55 ea. that have turned out to be quite good.

I should also mention something (again) about wheels. TI's and Supers are finicky about offsets. The 15x6x30mm offset GTA mags on my Super just fit, moving the wheel visibly more toward the fender lip than the stock steel wheels. As mentioned earlier another cheaper solution is to fit Turbinas (which, IMHO, look great on TI's and Supers, almost as if they were designed for them). These come in a 14x5.5x35mm offset with with anything up to a 185x70x14 tire and (because of the 35mm offset) are a perfect fit for a Super. Another good choice is to fit GTA replicas in 14x6x30 offset. The wider stance makes a TI or Super look great, even with relatively small width tires like 165x15 Vredesteins. I think the extra offset makes the car look less "tippy" than the stock steel wheel.

Now, having said all this, there are people fitting larger cross section tires and wheels with wider widths to TI's and Supers. Sometimes these work in the stock wheel wells, but sometimes they don't and, when they don't, you have to do things like roll the inner fender lips, machine a few mm's off the wheel face and a few mm's off the axel hub, do some careful shimming of the rear axel to get them to fit. The reason for this appears to be manufacturing differences over time in what was, after all, an Alfa produced produced longer than any other Alfa model.

Just remember you may be trying to fit 40mm of extra tire width in an area originally designed for 155mm. Just sayin' . . .0:)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I can vouch for 185/70R14 tire size on a Turbina wheel fitting in the rear just fine on a Super, even one lowered from the stock ride height.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts