Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my car has been sitting around for about 2 years and im going to be taking out the fuel tank is there any dyi for cleaning and restoring the fuel tank or should i just take it to a professional?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agree with Road... Both my Spider projects sat for a 'bit' more than 2 years... and both had very good reasons to pull the tank and clean it professionally to eliminate any issues regarding the tank. Very tempted to flush and wash and dry and all that, especially because the insides weren't rusty.. but the gel/goo/dirt that came out convinced me that sometimes it really is worth the 50-100 clams to drop it off.. pick it up a bit later and R&R the thing. Time to look over the connections/in-tank pump, etc and then move forward towards the fuel delivery system to make everything as good as it can be. Clean fuel system for all these cars is so crucial..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Take it to someplace where they can let it soak in the tank overnight or over the weekend. The alkaline product won't hurt the metal but will remove everything else. Be prepared to paint the outside and do what ever to the inside very soon after receiving it back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Might be worth buying a new tank...I had the same issues with my 91 Spider and after replacing the main fuel pump still had problems...eventually had to replace both fuel pumps, filters and the gas tank...now runnig like a charm...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 88 Graduate sat for 7 years and gas in tank turned to varnish and was covered with rust. I purchased a 3 part tank de-rusting, etching, sealing product from KBS Coatings for $62.00 with shipping. Worked great but took a week to complete the job with drying and curing time. My local radiator shop wanted $140 to epoxy coat and a new tank would have been $240 plus shipping. The process was easy, works great and I saved some $$$. I highly recommend KBS Coatings system. I had to install new in-tank pump, sending unit, primary pump, fuel lines all the way to the injector rail and filter so saving the $$ on the tank was nice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looking at that fuel pump I would replace the fuel tank with a new one, as well as the filters and both fuel pumps...one word of caustion when you replace the intank pump be carefull with the stepping hose, to not damage it, yours looks good, because they are hard to find and expensive if you do find one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at that fuel pump I would replace the fuel tank with a new one, as well as the filters and both fuel pumps...one word of caustion when you replace the intank pump be carefull with the stepping hose, to not damage it, yours looks good, because they are hard to find and expensive if you do find one.
before i took it out it was running pretty well if that makes any difference

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why than did you take it out...just looks really rusty to me, so I am surprised your car was running well...however mine was running well also as long as I did not try and take an extended trip like 40 miles or more, because than it would start to stall as if it was running out of gas.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why than did you take it out...just looks really rusty to me, so I am surprised your car was running well...however mine was running well also as long as I did not try and take an extended trip like 40 miles or more, because than it would start to stall as if it was running out of gas.....
Im restoring the car so i was going to clean out the tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts