Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Tryng to isnatl some konis. but can't get the top shockk nuts off. Soaked in penetrant, took out rear seats, used screwdriver -- does not hold the shaft. Tied vice grips and that doesn't do it wither.

Any guggestions? Try to grip the chok body from underneath??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't know if it the same, on the 105, you can remove the small shocker tower that the rear shockers are attached to.
3 x 10mm(?) bolts and pull out the whole shocker still attached to the tower and then do what you have to do on the bench!!

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I just went through this (twice, see below), the 116 chassis only has a narrow slot behind the rear setback to access the top of the shocks. Luckily, mine came off without too much drama, but the limited mount of space precludes the use of an impact wrench to zip off the nut . . . .

My '81 GTV6 was still on its original SPICA shocks, and on these the threaded rod that is used to attach the shock to the car (both on the upper mount and lower suspension) are attached to the shock body, and not to the actual shaft of the shock. Therefore, the shock body can be grasped to counter-hold against the loosening of the nut on the corresponding end. You should try to get a pair of channel-lock pliers up into the recess in which the upper rear shock body goes and try to counter-hold the upper shock body while a helper loosens the nut (or vice versa).

I took a chance on a set of four NOS SPICA Milano Verde shocks on eBay for $50 a couple of years ago, and finally got around to installing them last week. The "new" front shocks are great, but the rears were weak so I switched back to the originals and the car feels good. I love the ride of the factory GTV6 and was leery of making it any stiffer (I already own 3 other cars with modified/stiffer/lower suspension systems) and wanted to keep the "grand touring" feel.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They can be reached through the trunk. Might be easier. Tried spraying them with Freeze-Off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts