Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, quarantine finds me with a box of new door seals from Classic Alfa and some time on my hands, time to replace the dry seals on my '74 GTV. I'm hoping to avoid as much frustration as possible and learn from the experience of others, any tips for me before I start? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Be sure your door is aligned correctly before starting on the seal. Then start in the corner (duh...), but don't just go around, do one piece at a time working backwards from there. This will prevent you from have 'extra' when you come to do the last bit. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've installed them with broad screw drivers, but I used this snap on tool and its quite helpful
Snap on Part number: SGSR104AR. Sorry for suggesting expensive tools.
Using masking tape is helpful for getting all the positions right for no extra rubber. The door sill portion is the most difficult, so some silicone grease is helpful. Can't find silicone grease, use brake caliber grease.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
I'm hoping to avoid as much frustration as possible and learn from the experience of others, any tips for me before I start?
The biggest tip - and the source of all that frustration that others (myself included) have discussed - is buying the wrong seal. So as long as you have small-profile seals, you're 90% of the way there. Yes, having your doors aligned is important. Yes, you don't want to have surplus material when you get to the end of the installation. But if your seals are too fat, you're hosed no matter what.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
If you end up with extra seal, then you have installed them wrong so you need to start again and follow Scalino1300's instructions.

BUT before you start, check the condition of your door frames to ensure some nasty panel beater has not fixed rust poorly and ruined the shape so the door seal does not have the correct groove to fit into. This thread might help if you have issues with the correct door to opening dimensions: GT/GTV door seal, fit issues

Pete

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Excellent advice here. I recently did this with the CA seals. They are very good, but by themselves will not solve a poor door alignment, door cards where the lower edge is too long or poor fitment in damaged 'tracks'. Remove the old seals, sit in the car and close the door. Check the contact points around the lower edge particularly. I made up a tool using an old screw driver, by heating and beating the tip to the shape I wanted. It was great for this task and working with windscreen seals.
IMG_20200416_061841.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips everyone! Tracks were a little beat up, but seals went on without too much trouble. I used a nylon Pedro's tire lever (for bicycles), a broad screwdriver, and a 14 year old son. Doors are a little tougher to close, but not bad. Took it for a test run last night and wind noise is greatly diminished, but now I need to diagnose and treat hesitation and sputter at throttle!

·
Registered
284 Posts
A couple of things i did:
1- I actually started in the forward lower corner- there are more curves there and as such it uses up the "excess" seal... there was no extra material when i got to the upper left
2-what i think is a great idea-Put blue painters tape on the seal where the door metal meets the door to reduce friction until the seal sets...the doors will close much easier and then when the seals are well set, just remove the tape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts