Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an SS for which I have just received the build records from Alfa - and it list two identical chassis numbers for the car, one starting 101.17 and the other 101.20.

Why is this and were the 101.17 cars the ones that were destined for the USA?

Interested to learn more....

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I note that one SS was described by RM Sotheby's as:

This particular Sprint Speciale was completed by Alfa Romeo for internal use under assembly Tipo Code 101.17.

Can this be correct that 101.17 SS's were somehow for "internal use"? And is so, what use might this be?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi deimh
I am not particularly familiar with SSs but do have, like others, lots of reference books. May I suggest you state the complete chassis.and engine number, and if possible, a link to the Sotheby's auction you mention.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who I am sure can help....
Richard

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any update on this?
Sounds like a possible traveling Auto Show-type car kept by Alfa off the floor. If so, probably lots of nice goodies on it when eventually sold later? Very rare score if it's an in-house factory kept and fussed over SS. Please, more details if you don't mind sharing.

I found & purchased two prototypes plus the body buck of another marque a few years ago. Sure wish I had those back for my future retirement now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
From some old note:
Type 101.17 (USA)
This type appears in the Alfa Parts Catalog, but not in Maurizio Tabucchi’s Guide to the Identification of Alfa Romeo Cars.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I went through my research books and came up with nothing for a 101.17

What data plate is assigned to the firewall? 101.21 or 101.17?

The 101.18 model designator for the Giulia Veloce lumps all the USA and Euro models as one aggregate. The only way to sort them out is to look for the turn signals on the front fenders.

I will check with some sources to see what I can come up with.

Here is what Wikipedia says,(I put the bold marks.) "' Small changes to a production version included steel doors, Weber 40 DCOE2 carburetors, higher front nose, removal of plexiglas windows. Bumpers were fitted front and rear, also cars had some minimal sound-proofing. With the 1290 cc engine and 100 hp (75 kW) of power the maximum speed was around 200 km/h (124 mph). The 1.3 litre engine and gearbox was the same as used in race-oriented Giulietta Sprint Zagato. All Giuliettas SS had three-shoe drum brakes at front wheels and drum brakes at the rear. Export versions had 101.17 designation. Side badges had "Giulietta Sprint Speciale" script. '"

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
10117 was the short lived designation for the US Spec Sprint Speciale, the same as 10104 was for US Spec Spiders and 10105 was for US Spec Sprints.

The Factory's general idea back in the day was to assign different build codes for different markets and the US being the primary market and what Hoffman wanted, Hoffman got, so US spec cars had no fender repeaters or indicators, GE sealed beam headlights and in the case of the 750 Spiders no quarter light windows and together with 750 Sprints they had the Lucas football tail lights. MPH gauges were another feature. 101 Spiders & Sprints got red/red/white tail light lenses etc, etc. The theory was that all US ordered cars would then be pulled out of the available pool of US designations which would ensure that the correct spec appeared on the correct shores - great in theory, but in practice it wasn't so successful as if Hoffman ordered a black one and the only black SS was a European spec car, it was shipped regardless. After a year going 18 months '59 through '60 Alfa realised that they had effectively doubled up on admin and whatever was in stock at the time was shipped regardless of the designation, so it was quietly phased out and they went back to 10102 / 10103 / 10106 / 10107 / 10120.

Giuliettisti with 10104 / 10105 / 10117 cars now have a little more info to bedazzle onlookers at cars and coffee... ;)

Matt Hamilton's Giuliettas.com site has some good info here if you read the blurb under the pictures --> Market 305: US Market modified Giulietta SS – Giuliettas

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great info. Greig. I
misread Dave’s “internal use” post. I see now that that was another SS’s description on one of RM’s auctions.

Dave, can you respond to the above post inquiring what your data tag looks like? We’ve seen other USA market-bound data tags, as Greig mentioned, pop up for questions before.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Greig, all great information. Thank you. This helps fill in the gaps of lost knowledge.
I have written to the archives to see what they say and requesting a count if they have it for the 101.17. So now we wait.
At the next car show where we have a nice selection of cars to look at, we can search for 101.17 tags.

Here is the link to the SS from Matts website. Scroll down and you will see the data plate with the designation of 101.17 but it doesn't show the factory model plate. The air cleaner set up is all wrong. Does anyone know where this car went?
101.17 Sprint Speciale 00246

1 - 9 of 9 Posts