Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think a piece of the tin foil, that seals the gallon of oil, dropped into the oil filler on my spider. where would it go, and if it is in there, would it fall into where the drive chain for cam? i don;t know how big it is, but it must have fallen into the oil, when i removed it. this does not make me happy.:frown2:

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
it'll fall directly onto the chain, then end up eventually in the sump/oil pan

I wouldn't think there is much to worry about with a bit of that peel-off tin foil stuff on oil canisters, even if it is not a nice thing to know it is in there.

A bolt or the like would/could be much more serious as it can get trapped between chain and lower cog and then cause real damage.

·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it'll fall directly onto the chain, then end up eventually in the sump/oil pan

I wouldn't think there is much to worry about with a bit of that peel-off tin foil stuff on oil canisters, even if it is not a nice thing to know it is in there.

A bolt or the like would/could be much more serious as it can get trapped between chain and lower cog and then cause real damage.
i am hoping that it is a direct drop to the pan, next to the chain...and a bolt, would really freak me out...
thanks for your response.

·
Super Moderator
3,519 Posts
If you haven't run the motor as yet, it's a simple job to whip the cam cover off & have a look down the timing chain area - if it's fallen down, a decent torch & length of welding rod with a small 90* bend at the end & sharpened to a fine point will snag & pull it out for you.

Just check that it's not in the underside of the oil can screw cap first.....

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
216 Posts
where would it go,
First stop, critical engine components. Crankshaft, camshaft and SPICA if you have that system.

With an oil filter the small holes on the outside is where oil enters. The large center hole is where filtered oil is fed to the engine.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I would conduct an experiment to see if the seal floats? Some seals are totally metal and some are backed with a layer of foam.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
dont all seals float? I wouldn't want that bit in there. No tellin where it went as I imagine it woulda been somewhat suspended in oil as it was being poured in. I'd guess - guess being the operative word - its in the pan. good luck, ciao jc

·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would conduct an experiment to see if the seal floats? Some seals are totally metal and some are backed with a layer of foam.
this doesn't have foam, it is just foil, i have one from another bottle, my fear, is it would go someplace and cover a spot, and cause a lack of oil flow..it is so thin, that if it went into the chain, it would just get chewed up....

·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First stop, critical engine components. Crankshaft, camshaft and SPICA if you have that system.

With an oil filter the small holes on the outside is where oil enters. The large center hole is where filtered oil is fed to the engine.
that is a thought, perhaps if i drain the oil, and pull the filter, it may be there. i wouldn't want to block the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
An acquaintance is a helicopter mechanic and he told me that the motors have an optical device that scans the oil.

Says that if you can see the parts number on the stuff going by--you have a problem.

:w00t:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
... if it's fallen down, a decent torch & length of welding rod with a small 90* bend at the end & sharpened to a fine point will snag & pull it out for you...
Just to clarify for our American readers - when Greig says "torch" he's not talking about something that runs on propane or acetylene :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
As I recall, there's a strainer on the oil pump where it picks up oil from the sump. So if it rides down the chain and into the sump it's likely to stay there.

Anyhow, one has to be positive about these things.

Look at it this way:if it WERE to clog an oil passage, you would get to say:

image.jpg

. . Curses -Foiled Again . .

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
As I recall, there's a strainer on the oil pump where it picks up oil from the sump. So if it rides down the chain and into the sump it's likely to stay there.
Said strainer on the oil pump, shown in red here. Piece of tinfoil is not getting past that.

IMG_3066.jpg

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
About how large is this piece of foil? That would be my first concern, after that I cannot imagine how a very thin gauge small piece of aluminum foil could cause problems. If it did get past the oil pump screen the filter would catch it, after being compressed in the oil pump.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
You will be sad if you ignore it but the very slight chance that it causes damage comes to be. It seems like you have a three step process: (1) remove cam cover and inspect from top; (2) drain oil to see if it comes out; and (3) remove lower pan and retrieve. None of these tasks is difficult but may save you a lot of time and expense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it's a bit of foil, it's going on that strainer as shown (once it gets past everything else to hit the sump). Other than the fact that it will drive you bonkers wondering....its likely not to worry over.

The only time I've ever had an issue is on a 40 year old car where all of the valve seals disintegrated and the bits made their way down to the sump and actually clogged that screen.

·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it's a bit of foil, it's going on that strainer as shown (once it gets past everything else to hit the sump). Other than the fact that it will drive you bonkers wondering....its likely not to worry over.

The only time I've ever had an issue is on a 40 year old car where all of the valve seals disintegrated and the bits made their way down to the sump and actually clogged that screen.
thanks you, i am thinking that i will be taking the chance. i have had se:wink2:veral people, in icluding a mech, that wouldn,t worry...
thanks for all the opinions guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts