Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this thing!?

It is located on the top of the valve cover.

When I was recently checking the oil, I noticed this "device" dangling next to the distributor. (Apparently the gasket used to hold it in place melted over time and the thing just fell out of its home.) I checked the owner's manual and discovered its name.

I cleaned everthing up, fashioned a new "gasket" and re-installed it.

However, initially my spider would not rev above 4200-4500 rpm -- it was like there was a governor on the engine. I wiggled the timing variator out just a tad -- to ensure it did not touch the plunger switch -- and everything is fine.

Is there something else I should be concerned about?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Variable Valve Timing Device

No, you basically got it! As long as the tip of the VVT soleinoid just barely touches the plunger, its in the right spot. Basically this device allows the car to have better emissions at low power settings but allows for more power (I think valve-overlap) at high power settings.

When the spring-loaded plunger gets pushed in by the VVT soleinoid, oil pressure inside the VVT device (attached to the front of your intake cam) is allowed to increase and hydraulically changes the timing orientation of the camshaft. When the soleinoid tip retracts, the valve in the VVT closes, oil pressure in the VVT device drops and the intake cam returns to its normally timed position.

Pretty neat eh...basically its like having 2 intake cams in your engine for the price of one. Works good...lasts long time.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Thought I would bring this up again.... mine has black rubber seal inside all rooted. How would I remove, and make a new rubber seal and reinsert? How would I reset it when putting it back on with valve cover?
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts