Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have a 74 GTV with Spica and Marelli distributor. I restored the car about 15 years ago and have been enjoying her ever since. With the help of this site, i have kept my GTV as original as possible and have rebuilt or restored almost every part. Runs great even with a missing anti tamper stop screw on my spica. My question today is the Marelli distributor. When I view the timing marks at idle with a light, the marks tend to float. That is they are in view for say 5 seconds, tend to float away momentarily, then are back. Seems to be better off idle but still there. I went through the distributor a few times, no worn bushings, new points, cap, rotor, coil, condenser etc. The only thing I think is suspect are the advance weights. They work well but at rest there is no spring tension on them and tend to be loose. I have read some other posts in the past about this but not sure if this causes the timing float. I don't think it is affecting performance but not sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
if you rev to say 2000 and put some tension on the advance weights is there any float? If not I'd say it would be worn springs. Most all the Marelli dizzies I've seen have some play when turning the rotor by hand before you feel it hit the weights. I guess it's a matter of degree, not crankshaft degrees but state of condition degree. If it's idling fine and you see the mark move up to the "M" mark in a smooth progression I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. How about some photos:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
This company has gotten great reviews from the TR crowd. His services are inexpensive ($150 or so) and I haven't seen a complaint. I intend to use them when I get the engine back together on my TR5. Folks who have had low mileage cars report favorable results from rebuilding their distributor, so maybe its time for yours? Don't know what brand is on your car, but they seem willing to take on other brands. If there is a service provider specific for our Italian cars please go with them, but this is who came to mind when I saw your post.... NFI, just thought I'd pass it along.
Advanced Distributors

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been searching some other posts, and found a recommendation of replacement springs from a GM kit available through NAPA. Bought the kit this am, replaced the spring in question and I think it fixed it. It was not an exact replacement but the marks are now stable viewing by the timing light and it idles a lot better. I need to take it for a drive now to see how it advances. Fingers crossed.

Lawrence

1 - 4 of 4 Posts