Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Whilst stripping my engine and looking at the timing gears/sprockets etc i noticed even though the gears do not have the normal hook wear pattern, they are all very rough on the edges.

I had already planned to replace the upper and lower timing chains but i am concerned about the state of these gears.

Is it normal practice to smooth these edges with a metal file etc. or would these gears need to be replaced ???

Thanks for any help.

Rob.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,379 Posts
Sprockets

At a minimum I suggest smoothing them out.
The critical wear area on the crank and intermediate sprocket is the borrom surface od each notch.
If wear is nor excessive when assembled with a new lower chain the "teeth" of the two sprockets will clear each other about .010. If more you will have some 'slop" with the new chain.

An issue? Probably not a great one as within 5 hours of run time the chain will have lengthened to a longer lasting "set" but continue to grow as miles pile up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.
Richard, when you say "at a minimum i suggest smoothing them out, i am curious as to what else could be done. Could you please elaborate ?

Thanks,

Rob.

·
Richard Jemison
7,379 Posts
Sprockets

Richard, when you say "at a minimum i suggest smoothing them out, i am curious as to what else could be done. Could you please elaborate ?
Of course!

Replacement, but simply smmothing the machined edges with a round file and shot blasting should leave them polished looking.

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
Richard can make them like this for you.....

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts