Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a new timing gear bushing they would sell? This is for a 74 GTV 2000 engine.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
John, I think I have what you need . .. 101's 105's etc used them . Part numbers might not match with a 2 liter ..consult a AR tech for yea or nay match.. O.D 23.75 mm I.D. 20.25mm Length 18.05 mm.
001.JPG

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Rick, how many do you have? I'll take one ore two, if I may. Thanks, Andy

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks. I am not sure where or who to check with but hopefully someone with join in the conversation. If it looks good, I will buy it.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Just curious.

Do you have the special tools to bore out the new timing gear bushings?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the shop that is overseeing my motor rebuild is equipped.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
If it helps, I have old number 101.10. 01.115.00 which reverts to new number 00607-09282.00.00 . I KNOW these work on 1300's (101's and 105's) and 1600's there is a different part number for the 2 liter BUT they use the same thrust washer so go figure. Andy I'll send you an e-mail.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I believe the shop that is overseeing my motor rebuild is equipped.
The tool uses the crank and water pump studs to get it in the correct position. Both bushings have to be bored together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Somehow I've ended up with 2 sets of reamers.

As you can see the reamers were made specially for the Alfa tool. Its not a standard reamer you can buy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Sweet tool!! Jim, how often do you next to replace these bushes? Any guesses as to mileage/wear limit roughly?

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Sweet tool!! Jim, how often do you next to replace these bushes? Any guesses as to mileage/wear limit roughly?
I've only had to use it once on a replacement block from Alfa under warranty back in the day. New blocks and timing covers do not come with the bushings bored.

I do check them with the go / no go gauge. But have yet to see any with any wear beyond the limits.

Really the only way to wear them is to over tighten the timing chain. But that usually cause the big gear to spin or break long before it will wear the bushings. Spin or break depends if its the pressed on gear or the earlier keyed style.

A lot of machine shops today just want to replace everything and will pull them out and then find out they haven't been available for decades. Then will spend a couple of days making jigs to bore them once they find some.

Reactions: goats
1 - 12 of 12 Posts