Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to fix my radiator problem, one of my next steps is to adjust the timing on the car since I can even HEAR it is off. Can anyone tell me what the proper number (degree?) the car should be set at? AND if the engine has been modified (balanced etc.) does that change what the timing is set at?

Yes, I ask a lot of simple/basic questions, but I want to learn to do these things myself and not just drop the car off at the mechanic everytime something goes wrong. There will be plenty of projects for him, I can at least learn to do the smaller less complicated ones.

Thanks for your help!

Sarah.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Don't have the specs in front of me (I think it's something like 2 - 4 deg ATDC) but with the engine at idle, just line up the "F" mark on the pulley to the pointer on the waterpump. Then rev the engine to 5000 RPM and see if the "M" mark on the pulley is lined up. If it does, your golden.
If the "M" mark is within a few degrees, I prefer to set the timing to the M mark and ignore the F mark. If, however, the the M mark doesn't come close to lining up, then there's a problem with the centrifigal advance in the distributor.
Modified engines can generally tolerate a few more degrees of idle advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! I'll give it whirl.

:)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
Papajam,

I agree with everything you've said, an advance timing light will make the job even easier.

Alfemale, it also would be a very good idea to pull the cam cover and see how your CAM TIMING lines up. Since Alfas offer a vernier adjustment on the cam sprockets, someone in the past may very well have messed with them, for good of for ill.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
papajam said:
Don't have the specs in front of me (I think it's something like 2 - 4 deg ATDC) ...
The jury will disregard the witness' last statement. IAP has the spec at 4 - 6 deg BTDC at idle and 30 - 36 at 5000 RPM.
The pointer in the pic is lined up with the "P" mark which is Top Dead Center (TDC). A little to the right of the P mark is the "F" mark. This is about where the timing needs to be at idle. Looking further to the right on the pulley is the "M" mark - the high speed timing mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a thousand words or...

A picture. That'll probably save a lot of explaining and a lot of cursing. :D

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts