Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Timing Check on 164LS

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  JDM 
#1 ·
I bought a 164 LS that the previous owner said developed some engine noise. In an effort to not cause anymore damage I want to check the timing. Is there a way to check the timing on the 24 valve engines without removing the valve covers?

Thanks,

James

#2 ·
NO, the cam timing marks as bad as they are to see are on the rear ends o
f the cams. AND the best way to ensure they are set to correct timing is with cam timing dies installed on each cam.

#4 · (Edited)
You can check cam timing without removing timing belt. Set the engine up on top dead center mark on front crank pulley. Then install on rear head timing the timing dies on first two bearing caps B and G second caps from front of engine for each cam. Caps are A to H

On front head the exhaust cam die goes again on second bearing cap 7 and intake die goes on rear bearing cap 4.
Caps are 1 to 8.

If one of the cams out of time you need to hold that pulley with pulley tool and loosen pulley bolt and knock the pulley backside with rubber or brass hammer to loosen taper. then put wrench on square on cam to rotate it slightly to get timing die to fit. Hold cam pulley again and tighten bolt.

If timing belt needs to be changed first check to see if you have 1/8" air gap between tensioner body and tensioner arm. If so insert a 1/16" rig pin (welding rod, etc.) through tensioner body and piston shaft. If gap off to much you need to raise or lower tensioner arm just enough to get rig pin installed.

Do you have weighted tools and adapters? We need to find John Harrill's thread on changing 24v timing belt for good show and tell. I think this is the long threads/posts: 24V Timing Belt Questions

#5 ·
Thank you Steve, This is great information-- I've done timing on the 12 valve engines- never on the 24 Valve. You mentioned a Pulley tool, is there a source where I could purchase/rent the tool or is there a "universal" tool that works?
Also, no sure about weighted tools and adapters/

Thank you,

James

#6 ·
What year your 24v? Does it have 6 or 8 holes in cam pulleys as different factory wrench for each. Weighted arm set up and adapters for timing belt and serpentine belt are factory tools for 24v engine. I am sure you can find work around tools. I made a tensioning tool before I had weighted arm. The 1/8" air gap and the 1/16' rig pin tool freely inserting after tensioning is the key to whether you have belt tensioned correctly.

#7 ·
Two Rube Goldberg/Jack Leg homemade tools I made to apply tension 24v 164 engine timing belt tensioner pulley. One is from an old 12v mechanical tensioner body that has lifting lug for 3/8" drive hinge handle or ratchet w/extension as needed. the other is a lever I had from a garage door. I drilled, tapped threads and two M6 bolts as pins to engage two holes in tensioner pulley eccentric.

#8 ·
Thanks Steve,
I have to check on 6 or 8 hole cam pulleys. need to pull the belt covers, cam covers - hope to find time this weekend, I have a scope was going to try to see if I can see any signs of damage to to piston tops to indicate valve - Piston contact. I'll update on progress Thank you for all your assistance.

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.