Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see the 2 images. I think I'm missing a part according to the diagram. It looks like a nut. Is it a special part or could I use a nut to fit the tensioner bolt from the hardware store? A picture of the part would be helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What's the source for that part?
2. How do the bolt, spring, and locking wedge work together?
3. Where does the locking wedge apply pressure on spring?
4. What's the best procedure for assembly? I have the cylinder head off.
Thanks for your quick response!

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
1. What's the source for that part?
Alfa Romeo. Did you look inside the sump - maybe it fell down there?
2. How do the bolt, spring, and locking wedge work together?
3. Where does the locking wedge apply pressure on spring?
The lock bolt presses the wedge against the cut out section of the shaft. The spring is there to encourage the sprocket to apply some tension to the timing chain when the lock bolt is loosened. But the spring tension is usually insufficient by itself. See reply to #4.
4. What's the best procedure for assembly? I have the cylinder head off.
Use a blob of grease to stick the wedge to the cut out area of the shaft. Push the tensioner into the head (against spring tension) until the hole in the wedge is lined up so the nib in the bolt will engage - peek in through the hole where the bolt goes. Thread the bolt in to engage the locking wedge but don't tighten it yet. I use a bar clamp to push the tensioner in then tighten the locking bolt.

When you reassemble the engine and install the timing chain, loosen the lock bolt 1/2 to 1 turn only - do not remove it or the nib will disengage from the locking wedge! The spring may not be strong enough to put adequate tension on the timing chain. I use a pry bar to gently push it tight against the chain and then tighten the lock bolt. No need to go over board tightening it - you just need to hold it secure.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!! That info really helps too! I now know where to find the part and how to install it. This site is the greatest! 😀

1 - 7 of 7 Posts