Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my fingers are numb. Any tips on installing the clip on the master link (74 Spyder)?
To be sure; there are 2 spacers on the link side, correct?
Thank you!

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
one spacer in the middle on spacer below the ' fish'

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean one spacer on the closed side of the link? (that must be what you mean by middle)
Any tips on getting the darn fish on?
Thanks!

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
no .. the spacers go like this..on spacer in the centre of the chain.. the last spacer under the 'fish' quick link, ..questions call me at 916.412.9052..

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah! Man, that makes so much sense! I have a lot of photos but not a good one of that area. Thanks for the invite to call; much appreciated.
I owe you and a bunch of other guys on the BB a couple of cold ones.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dont forget, "little fish swims upstream." Round end of the clip goes in the direction the chain moves.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Doing a rebuild, and just did mine. It goes like pictured. The thicker of the 2 spacers goes in the middle between the links on the chain. The motor turns clockwise looking at the front, so the closed end of the clip goes on the right. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in good shape thanks. Although mine look identical, I did not know the thicker spacer went in the middle. I looked at them pretty close and they do look the same. Would it make a difference if the wrong one was in the middle? I read all the post on head gasket etc. and never saw mention of a thick and thin spacer.

·
Premium Member
22,392 Posts
Probably not the end of the world, but note that the master link spacers are just like the spacers on the rest of the links, so match them. In the pics above, all the thick spacers are in the middle of the chain. I would fix it if it's wrong, but probably it's not going to wear out immediately.
Yes, closed end of the master link clip points in the direction of travel (toward the driver's side in the US).
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,365 Posts
Yes, closed end of the master link clip points in the direction of travel (toward the driver's side in the US).
Not that I disagree, but what mechanism would cause it to fall off if it were installed in the opposite orientation? Air resistance?:rolleyes:

johndewaele said:
OK, my fingers are numb. Any tips on installing the clip on the master link
I use a small pair of channel locs to pop it on. Be sure to stuff rags in the opening in the head below the link, so that if the fish escapes during installation, it won't swim away!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
stub flathead screwdriver with thumb on the flat of the screwdriver, pressure on the round end and push on, other hand holding the chain and yes on the rags!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here's where to look for the little "fish" if you fail to plug the little gaps on the outside of the cam sprockets. Adds several more hours to the process if your engine has the oil pan attached.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts