Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Resealing a 2.5 engine and installing a new timing belt, my question is, at TDC according to the manual the pointer on the crank pulley should be at P.
I have put # 1 at TDC and installed the belt and end the with everything lined up but I think that the crank pulley is on F.
My pulley shows an R line P line F. What is R for and which line is for P?

Thanks.

Gian.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was ravioli, I'm getting kind of hungry. LOL
I wonder if R is for (retardo).
Are the alfa pulleys solid? or are they like some GM ones that can slip due to the rubber insert that wears.
I reset the belt again and when set on P every other pulley comes out to be about 1/2 a tooth off. Hopefully I'm in time,it rotates good and I'll find out when I'll reinstall the engine in my 85 GTV project car.
Thanks.
Gian.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yes, Alfa pulleys are like that, called harmonic balancers, so they can offset vibrations from crankshaft. I would check for TDC by removing valve covers and checking position of piston to valve positions. A TDC gauge should be installed in spark plug hole # 1. Bet you need a new pulley. Try Alfa Parts Exchange. They should have a few. Good luck!

I wish it was ravioli, I'm getting kind of hungry. LOL
I wonder if R is for (retardo).
Are the alfa pulleys solid? or are they like some GM ones that can slip due to the rubber insert that wears.
I reset the belt again and when set on P every other pulley comes out to be about 1/2 a tooth off. Hopefully I'm in time,it rotates good and I'll find out when I'll reinstall the engine in my 85 GTV project car.
Thanks.
Gian.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hi Gian,

The key to getting this right is to set the timing marks by turning the crank by hand BEFORE you remove the old belt.

This is one of the most critical (and actually fairly easy - once you know what you're doing) tasks to do on the 12v Alfa V6. You don't need a TDC gauge. You can use a straw or chop-stick down #1 spark plug hole (extending several inches out the top so you can see it go up and down - without falling in) to determine TDC while your turning the crank by hand and watching the crank pully, stick, and the distributor rotor.

The 2nd critical item is setting the de-tensioner, which many get wrong. BTW there is no harmonic balancer on this engine & don't go suspecting pulley at fault. Most likely scenario is that you messed-up in your procedure and now crank is off alignment from cams.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey ToonRboy,
I have a dial indicator that I use to find TDC. I checked it several times and rotated it several times and still come out with tha cams in time and the pointer on the crank pulley is at the Fisso line, dont see a line for Punto.

Gian.

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts
P is TDC, F is for advance timing with engine running and adjustiing timing with timing light.

Are you trying to set up a mechaical spring tensioner or oil fed tensioner? If mechanical and you don't do it right you will get timing off everytime as you rotate engine through.

You need to either have valve covers off or using timing template you can print off under 164 tab. Look for link in my maintenance sticky first post. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/164-168-1991-1995/66906d1179330802-cam-timing-cam-timing.pdf

When you have crank pulley set at P and cams at 1 o'clock right head and 11 left head and izzy rotor at number 1 you need to rotate mechaical tensioner pulley excentric CCW with needlenode pliers in two holes in center of pulley and apply CCW lifting force to tensioner body with 3/8" DRIVE in square lfting lug to bring pointer down to just a slight amount below index mark ( I mean just a mini bit (hair or two).

Alfa 164 TSB 01.93.03
Alfa 164 TSB 01.93.04

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have read in a couple places about the needle-nose pliers thing. But I don't see it mentioned in Technical Service Bulletin 01.93.04 (which is what I referenced when I had my Milano).

I have to admit, it almost takes three arms to do it per the TSB, much less add another tool in there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts