Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 speed 3.0 12v
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get the best of the best parts for the timing belt repair , I know parts for these cars are hard to come by, and I’m sure a complete engine is almost impossible, so I want to care for this car meticulously
I guess my question is what timing belt kit and water pump and thermostat should I go with? I am a master tech and do timing chains on chevy 2.4’s and timing belts on toyota 3.3’s often, so I know I’m capable of doing the job, I plan to print the template out and get it laminated , and I’ve read Steve’s write up on the job and I will follow it step by step

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Get a cardisc, sometimes it’s nice just to have the manuals.

As for bits, I don’t know that there is lots of choice, one manufacturer of water pump, one for belt tensioner, a couple for the actual belt. There are a couple options for the serpentine belt idler/tension pulley. Have a couple of the thin orings on hand for under the cam hub plate in case you have some leakage there. Might also want six spark plug well seals if you are thinking of taking the valve covers off. If you do take the valve covers off, make sure you retorque the head nuts.

Used parts, like a whole engine are out there, Alfa parts exchange in California has a wide selection.
Generally it’s more about the planning ahead, can’t go to Napa and get bits. So, for me anyway, it’s have it on hand or wait two weeks mid job.
The job itself is pretty straight forward, it’s getting to the job that’s a bit time consuming.

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
I would like to get the best of the best parts for the timing belt repair , I know parts for these cars are hard to come by, and I’m sure a complete engine is almost impossible, so I want to care for this car meticulously
I guess my question is what timing belt kit and water pump and thermostat should I go with? I am a master tech and do timing chains on chevy 2.4’s and timing belts on toyota 3.3’s often, so I know I’m capable of doing the job, I plan to print the template out and get it laminated , and I’ve read Steve’s write up on the job and I will follow it step by step
First off, what type of 164 and year? Sounds like a 12V 1991-1993 since you want a template.

I have most parts available. Let me know?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Chris has a 1991 'L' with a 5 speed. I got all the parts for my 'S' renovation from Jason at Alfissimo and have have been well pleased with them. Including all belts, hoses, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, water pump, etc. Jason even had my power steering rack rebuilt and they did a great job ('S' dampener doesn't seem to do anything but they did not rebuild it and doesn't apply to your 'L').

I have an extra copy of both the early -1991 164 factory Service Manual and the 1991 factory wiring diagrams and Electrical Diagnosis Manual, that would be invaluable, if you plan to keep this car up and running. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Being a master tech will definitely help but you will honestly appreciate the Toyota engineering from a simplicity of repair standpoint. I am a home owner -garage mechanic and was able to figure out this 'engine out' job with help from the manuals and this forum! Working on the engine in the engine compartment looks like a PITA.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Nice thing about having the 4 banger version is two fold with regard to this. Chains for one and second... there is a metric buttload ton of room under the hood for swinging wrenches. The only thing I have not done, well would not do, was the clutch. Simply because I don't have the equipment/space to do so. All else has been and hopefully will continue to be... fair game. ciao, Chris

Reactions: Alfissimo Int.

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
Nice thing about having the 4 banger version is two fold with regard to this. Chains for one and second... there is a metric buttload ton of room under the hood for swinging wrenches. The only thing I have not done, well would not do, was the clutch. Simply because I don't have the equipment/space to do so. All else has been and hopefully will continue to be... fair game. ciao, Chris
Love to have had a twinspark in this car, I bet it handles amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts