Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my timing belt. First time on 164. I have done it on a GTV6 and Milano. My instructions talk about special tool 1822-104 for the adjustment nut power steering pump. I cannot find anything on this. My suspicion is there is something else that works. What do you use? I've not yet started taking things apart. Bob

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I could not find anything else that would work on one of those little nuts. Contact Jim G and ask if he has another factory 164 power steering nut wrench. He has a lot of extra factory tools listed in the classified section.

Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did this several years ago without the special tool. I think I removed the ps pump pulley in order to remove the belt. Not ideal since I had no way to adjust the tension on the belt, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The factory tool is simply a wrench with a bent end. I fashioned one out of a distributor wrench - available at any parts store. I had to heat and bend the wrench slightly to get a better bent length. 13mm size, I think - my modified distributor wrench is 1/2", but will fit over those 13mm bolts with little effort (I may have hit the inside of the box end of the wrench with a file a little?). If I remember correctly, there was at least one of those PS pump bolts that was a bear to get at without the wrench, but you may be able to get purchase on the fastener(s) with a stubby wrench or swivel socket. Or maybe a crows foot on a swivel. Distributor wrenches are cheap, though, and I was glad to have it for the pump removal and adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
1/2 inch is 12.52mm which is why a 13 mm wrench works on 1/2 nut or bolt UNLESS the required torque is high or the nut or bolthead is damaged. 1/2 usually won't work on 13 mm bolt it not without filing the wrench UNLESS the wrench is an el cheapo , ironically, and then might fit quite nicely maybe even permanently!!

Just btw, 9/16 will fit a 14 mm nut or bolt (Japanese car?) but the 14 mm just won't fit a 9/16 nut or bolt.

We're bilingual up here in Canada, use metric and SAE routinely because we have to. Most of us have two complete sets of metric and SAE sockets, wrenches and Allen keys. Heck even our crescent wrenches can be had in both metric and SAE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts