Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be pleased to know if any 2600 folks have modifed their suspension, tires or steering to enhance the repsonsiveness and decrease the heaviness of these cars. I saw power steering demo on a you Tube broadcast for a Spider, altho this may totally lose the character of the car if not well calibrated. I tried to reach the author and no reply. Two years old.

Any ideas out there? Suspension? Tires? Steeering system?

Below is url for a 2600 screaming around a race track. Seems to do ok. AGain, no info from owner on any mods.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Some people used a Volvo 142 steering box.

Personally, I think the steering is OK for cruising but I agree driving these cars in the city can be a workout. However, above 40 mph these cars become surprisingly nimble and comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
811 Posts
there will be lots of personal opinion here..

my recommendations: primary objective is to increase stability and maintain decent cornering and ride comfort

-put new shocks in, but replace them with oem....do not go firmer
-upgrade wheels to modern tire size 205 65 16 on Dayton wire wheels (a proven conversion)
-use a really good tire such as Michelin Primacy MXV
-watch the 1964 movie "Contempt" (Jean Luc Godard) starring Bridget Bardot. If the car can turn her on,you don't need to worry about anything else(!)

I found these steps to significantly increase the pleasure of driving my spider. It will never be the same as my GTV, nor should it be. It's a car to feel like a million dollars (pounds, Euros, etc) in.

David

·
Push hard and live
11,118 Posts
I have a complete, overhauled Alfa power steering kit as original on the FNM/Alfa 2300. I am pretty certain I'll never use it on my 2000, but bought it when I was leaning that way. I won't quite say it is a bolt-on, but the steering box bolts to the same 3-hole mount and the pitman arm is identical so will mate to the steering rods with no modification. You would have to devise a mount for the pump, although it is possible that the unit I have for the FNM/102 engine might accidentally work on the 2600. The big challenge, in my opinion, is that the steering shaft must be slightly shorter as the boosted steering box extends a bit farther toward the steering wheel.

I have not driven one of the Brazilian cars so cannot report whether it robs the feel, or makes it all much nicer by giving a quicker and softer turn-in. The drawback, as I see it, is the added weight just where you don't need it - up front.

If someone wants to give it a go, I'll sell my kit. Send pm with any interest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
See my post today (07.27.11) on converting to a Volvo 142 manual steering box. I believe the steering box for the 2000 and 2600 are the same.
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts