Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fishing for opinions on an idea regarding time trialing. The major expense for most of us is tires. Without good racing tires, you won't be competive. I was thinking that in classes D and below, most cars are street cars that need seperate tires and rims to run on top of their class. If there were a requirement that Alfas in those classes had to run street tires (dot 100 or greater wear factor), there would be several advantages. 1) lower cost 2) less stress on our old chassis that were never made to handle the forces of modern racing tires. (have you checked for cracks that form near the top of the front shocks?) 3) more emphases on car control with tires that slid a bit sooner. The advantage would go to the best driver, not the one who has the newest set of shaved and heat cycled Kumhos.
Those with race cars in classes ABC and Alfa Cup would still run what they want, and the rest could save a little money and still compete on an equal basis.
I don't want to rock the boat and I'll still do both time trials and Alfa Cup, but I'm just checking if some of you might be open to this idea before I talk to Doug Bender.
Thanks, Phil.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Phil,

It seems to me that what you’re after already exists. The top of Class E is just 15 points from the top of Class D. If you want to run street tires (0 points) rather than Kuhmos (10 points), just change the tires, back something else down by 5 points and you’re there. In fact, dropping those extra 5 points would reduce strain/ware and tear just as the tire change would. I ran in Class E last year and had a great time on street tires.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
That sounds good to me. How many people would be willing to drop down a class and run street tires? I would seriously consider time trailing my grey junior once or twice a year when it is done. I would be in class E with it.

Thing I can't get over is how close D and C times are...lots of fast drivers out there. Before, the times from class to class were farther apart.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would love to see more competitors in class E! So far this season the most cars in class E were 2! Zero at Laguna.

I figure that if I just show up at the remaining events, I'll be class champion! Sounds good, but there is no real satisfaction to it. I am all ready making plans to move up in class next season, but if we could get a few "drivers" into the class, I might reconsider.

Beings as the Alfa club does not pay prize money, nor do championships earn anyone a ride at Le mans, I would prefer to stay in the lower cost class.

So what can we do to get more participants in E? How about we get Yokohama to sponsor the class? Say we make their tire the spec tire of the class, and in return they award the class champion a seasons worth of free tires.

I know that in karting, each class runs a specific tire. I am not saying we would do it for the fastest classes, but how about D or E?

Let's hear some feedback.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I was in class D with my Milano. I managed a 2nd placing with street tires in 2000 at Willow Springs. But it was not easy as the 1st and 3rd spots were won by cars with race tires. So street tires in D and lower sounds good. :)

While we're at it, can we think about dropping the base points for the Milano? Say by ummmmm 10 points..... Hehe.... :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
75evo wrote:

While we're at it, can we think about dropping the base points for the Milano? Say by ummmmm 10 points.....

75evo,

Please remember that Alfa Bulletin Board does not set policy or make rules for the AROSC time trial/racing program. If there is something you would like the Competition Board to consider, why not propose it to Doug Bender, and it can be discussed by the board at our annual meeting.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Nah just kidding. I think the rules are already good as they are. I thought about what Phil said, but what Bruce said was also true.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup,

Between Randy Harris (Alfa classification) and Ben Buchannan (non-Alfa) they have it down pretty good. They even have a computer program for non-Alfas that considers 3 different tire options for classification! (slicks, race or street)

I know that a "new" competition code book is due, but Doug Bender hasn't had time to write it yet. Look for it next year.

And if there are some rule changes that you think might be good, now is the time to write your idea down and give it to Doug. Once the code is re-written, it will probably stand until someone else is willing to re-write it again (or 10 years.....or maybe 20.....)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
go fast

Hi Crew;
I know I have never run with you guys, but in the 80s yokahama came out with a 008rs in 2 componds. and being the 1st to run them i can say I won almost every event I entered untell thay let Super 7s in my class. I was in My 1600cc Super car.
Untell I went for a ride in Chris's red Sprint I still thought 008s were the fastest . But after the Blistering ride with those 2,(Chris and his car) Oh Hell Iam so behind the times.
But I still think that if there was some kind of fast drivers class with lots of drifting in our old cars it would be a blast. think back how wounderful it was to see our cars drifting out of the apex, drifting through the track. its a BLAST and IS super fun to be a spectater. And the modern hard tires do not go away as fast on warm days, Thay are allready away from the start.. And its a lot safer on the chassie and the bank book, but with out experance thay maybe a bit of danger braking and passing as the cars love to slide around. Times would be down very much. but the weee value maybe worth it if there was interest. I understand that if there is not a hole class devoted to this it would be frustating. because a old car with modern race rubber will beat a new honda with old tires. untell the old car brakes.
So lets see if any body wants to do a class of the way cars were ment to be raced..
Were does one find all the rules you all talking about?
Happy safe Drifting under 15%

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
rules

Hi Folks;
Ok, I am asking again. where do you all find the rules for the Time trials and race.
I asked this ? in the tires forum if you need to know what I am talking about. Some times I post and its gone and sometimes I post and its like knowbodys there, I may have computer problems with this site.
Do not get me wrong I love this site!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
TT and Race Comp Codes

If you're talking about running with AROSC, your best bet will be to contact the club directly. Their website is AROSC . I do know that the AROSC Comp Code is in the process of being updated by Doug Bender, the AROSC Competition Director, but only he can give you information about the update. His email address should be available at the AROSC website.

The AROSC rules differ slightly from those of AROC. Their rules can be downloaded from AROC . There are pleanty of other TT and race organizations around as well but I'll have to leave it up to you to find them.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Big Thanks

Thank You Bruce;
I had gone to the SC club with no luck some time ago. But have not gone with the AROC Thanks for the link.
I know the other out there as I am still a member of a couple. But relly wanted to know what the club rules are because thay are so lenent. You guys run anything a40 year old car with a big blocks in them, and I like that Tooo
A BIG Thank You
for the info
Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts