Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Alfisti,
The four door Giulia TI / Super / Berlina have been so overshadowed by the great GTs and Spiders that little is written about them. I know we have recently had the Tippler book on "Berlinas", but that was in the widest sense, not specifically on the Giulias.
I have been trying to piece together a book which will just cover the four door Giulias. Alfa Romeo are aware of the project and have promised their support. I have also been in touch with a publisher who is quite keen if I can get this together properly. I've currently written over 20000 words, but need more!
I am very keen on ensuring that the book covers Giulias all over the world, and in an as many different uses as possible. So, I am desperately wanting information on daily driven cars, racers, modifieds, show cars, cars awaiting restoration/rescue...indeed anything. I also need good publishable photos.
I hasten to add that I a not a professional journalist, and this is certainly costing me much more than I could ever dream of getting back. I am just an enthusiastic owner who wants to see these great little cars get a fair hearing! Please be part of this project!
I would be thrilled if any owners, fellow enthusiasts, people with info/photos, would get in touch.
Ciao!
Mark,
London, England

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, judging from the lack of response I guess I'm the only one who thinks this book is a good idea?!?!?! Is there no interest in the Ti/Super Stateside?
I need encouragement....and...well...maybe it wasn't such a good idea afterall!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
UK - I think it's a great idea!!!

The problem is I know nothing about them, nor do I have any kind of info on super's. And I think many are in the same shoes i'm in.

There isn't much or any info on supers out there. I think you have a great idea going, and should pursue writing this book!!!

p.s. I'd buy it

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Mark,

Sorry for the poor response regarding your project. I myself cant really help out too much since I don’t personally have one of these fine cars but I sure will help to spread the word. I'm going to be cross posting this post in some of our other forums and perhaps you’ll get a better response. I’m sure someone will chime in soon just hang in there!

Cant wait to hear more about the project as it develops.

Regards,

·
Registered
992 Posts
Well...

I currently own a 72 Berlina 2000 and am purchasing a nicely modified '71 Berlina 1750 shortly. I love them.

Contact me off BB: [email protected]

You probably want to contact Andrew Watry of the Berlina Register as well. He's pretty much the Berlina Guru.

·
Registered
241 Posts
4 doors

There is a guy in San Francisco with a Giulia TI Super (!) and he brings it to Sears Point frequently (display only - never seen it race). It has been totally restored, and looks great.

Anyone from the ARA (Alfa Romeo Assn) would know him. I'll ask around Laguna Seca this weekend (AROSC race weekend) and see who he is.

The car would be perfect "model" for some photos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am delighted to have received such encouraging posts. Thanks everyone.
My book will now include Berlinas as well as the TI and Super, and so I would be delighted to hear from Berlina enthusiasts too. I want to hear about cars in all sorts of condition, whether race cars, restoration projects, every day cars, or show cars, so please don't hesitate to get in touch.
I would be very interested to get more information on that TI Super!
I am particularly short on information on cars used in motor sport, then or now!
Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you all updated on progress.
........Mark

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Mark,

I am glad that you're getting responses to your book idea. I know nothing about Supers but I am a big fan of Berlinas from '69 up.

I know that AlfaBB member super-racer owns a racing '67 Super. And there are several Berlina owners here, magista and jthraen for sure.

Check out http://www.squadrabianca.nl/ for a huge assortment of racing Giulia Supers. Here's a picture from thier site.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link to these great Dutch racers. I have been in contact with them, but haven't as yet got any really good quality photos. I think I'll have to make a trip over there to see one of their events sometime this year.

I do want to hear from racers in other parts of the world though!

Thanks again for your interest.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mark-
Please don't confuse our initial lack of response for a lack of interest or enthusiasm for your project. I think most of the folks on here are from the US, and the Guilia Super (and to an even greater extent, the Berlina) are underappreciated here and more rare than GTVs or Spiders. There is a gem of a Berlina in our club, and one of our members brings out a Super to the track pretty regularly. personally, my heart secretly lusts for a Super to compliment my Spider. (Even trying to decide if I should switch my daily driver to a Berlina).
SO...there IS enthusiasm, maybe not TOO much knowledge, though, from the masses.
Does anyone think a Super or a Berlina would be competitive on the track with GTVs? It seems to me that the GTV must have a lower CG, plus one less set of doors to haul around. Anyone know what the relative weights of the two cars are?
Thanks, all. Patrick Hood, NWARC, Seattle WA. USA

·
Registered
739 Posts
According to Fusi a 1600 Super weighed in at 990 kg and a Giulia Sprint GT at 950 kg. Remember that the 1600 Super was only sold in the US for 2 years vs. 7 years in Europe (not counting the Nuova Super, 1300 and diesel Supers), and most people in the US think Spider or sports car when they hear Alfa (if they think of anything at all), probably explains the lack of response from the US. That and this bb seems pretty weighted towards Bertone GT's.

Ciao,

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello UKAlfisti,
I have an unusual car for the US. It is a Nuova Giulia Super 1300.
There may be a dozen or so in the US. Not originaly sold here they are just now finding their way to these shores.
Mine is being painted as I write this. Yes it is being painted on Sunday.
The car is close to stock but I have replaced the ignition with an electronic system. I plan to do more modifications but not untill I am done with the body work.
I will be happy to take any photos that you might want. Let me know.
As for racing Supers, they may weigh a few pounds more to start but stripping them to race configuration brings them to even weight or better. The big secret is they are aerodynamically better than GTVs and Spyders.
Look forward to your book
MrC

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I heard the same thing. The super's supposedly were designed by engineers to be aerodynamic. While the GTV's and Spider's were designed to be stylish.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I remember the Super/Berlina bodies having a coefficient of friction of .36 and the GTVs at .38 - better than some of todays cars!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello again,
Recently saw reference to the CD figures in another book but I can't remember which.

Perhaps the Giulia book or Berlinas or ?? I will have to read them all again. lol

As I recall;
The better CD is a result of the shape of the rear of the sedan.
The Kamm effect thing. In the late 50s and 60s, engineers knew that the effect of an abrupt cut off at the rear of a car was real but they had difficulty actualy putting it into a design. They found the way on the Giulia Berlina. See Ferrari GTO and the Breadvan. Also consider Alfas change to the rear of the Duetto !! I have read some about it and it is complicated. Computer simulation is probably a boon to this type of work.
MrC

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Years ago, I worked with a former Alfa club member. One day he told me a few Alfa secrets. The only one I can still remember was that supposedly I could use an exhaust manifold from a '53 Cadillac on my Spider. He then pointed at another co-worker's Ford Maverick and told me that his car had a better coefficient of drag than my Spider. At first I thought he was bs'ing me, then I thought it might be due to the open and/or soft top. Perhaps it was the Maverick's kamm tail.

I was so offended by his comparing my Spider to a Maverick. But I could only retort with, "Oh yeah? Well did you know that Maverick's use Pinto tail lights?"

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kai, I bet the Spider has a much better overall drag figure than a Ford Maverick.

C of D is just a coefficient, you still have to multiply it by the frontal surface area. :D

An open top (soft top) add some signicant number to the CofD (correct me if I am wrong. I've given all my aerodynamics to my instructor), also the rain rail (?) around the windows on our GTVs adds a lot of CofD.

I've heard that those BAT alfas have really really good CofD. Weel, that's what they're designed for. :D

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Contact Dave Mericle

he has probibly forgotten more about Alfa Giulia Berlinas than most people know...and he has a TI Super, plus a Colli wagon...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts