Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my '65 Giulia Spider Veloce is in for paint and a freshen up of the chrome. The 30 year old paint job was getting pretty shabby and beyond a nice patina. It wasn't the original paint anyways, It had been repainted in Alfa Red (AR501) by one of the previous owners. The certificate of origin from Alfa indicates it left the factory in Grigio Mare (Sea Grey), a very unusual color, with a red interior. I only know of one other in Grigio Mare which is Keith Martin's of Sports Car Market. Generally, I would always take a significant car back to its original colors, but this particular color leaves me kind of blah. I'm doing the car for myself and not for resale and plan to keep it and enjoy it for a very long time. I'm leaning towards Alfa Red again but am a little torn.

What are your guy's thoughts?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,379 Posts
When I was a young boy in grade school there was a graphite Alfa with a red interior that parked outside of the school. It started my love of Alfas. You cannot beat the dark gray with red.
I'm with patonycam. If your car already has a red interior and you don't like Grigio Mare, go with grafito grigio. Red/red wouldn't work and besides, they're ALL red.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Wish had that problem. Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Tire
If it was my decision, I would consult Leonel Vesquez (BB member) who, as far as I know, is the authority on Giulietta restorations. Check out a pic of his shop.
Cheers, James

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
That Grigio Mare light grey with red is quite cool, I've never seen that. But if you want to do something else, I also agree 716 Graphite looks really good on a Giulia, especially with red. My Duetto is 716, but with dark burgundy seats. I love the color.

I wouldn't go standard red, they're all red - especially if it's not original.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Spider Normale, 2015 4C
33 Posts
There is something positive in going back to the way it was born. The light grey with red interior would also be unique. I am in the process of restoring a '65 Spider Normale and it is going back to its original white with red interior.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
imo paint is something that should make YOU THE OWNER happy...no matter the color be it hot pink or pea soup green or neon rainbow...the color needs to be something you can look at every day and be happy with..to hell with what the nay-sayers may say..it isnt their car

that said, i will ALWAYS vote for the "less common" colors, so you dont blend into the sea of red alfa's

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a non alfa light grey car with red interior and went through same dilemma. Except that when I bought it the color was already grey (the original color) and the decision was if to change at repaint time. Honestly when I bought it I really didn't like the grey. As with your car it was the original color.

The light grey looks amazing with a red interior. And actually I have come to love the grey so had it repainted same color. Apparently grey is fashionable now and young people seem to think it is a pretty cool choice.

It's absolutely the owners choice but I think I'd be weighing up the originality and rarity of the original grey versus a dark metallic grey, black or dark blue. Personally I'm not a fan of red interiors on red cars.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
thats one stunning kittycat!

and well said about a red gut...few colors look good with a red gut, and a red car with a red gut looks like crap..its like someone just dipped the car in toy box paint, and worse youll find a dozen shades of red so nothing matches right making things just worse

i imagine white would look just as good, me personaly i think only the darker shades work with red, tho it seems this grey is a stunner

as far as "but this was its original color" goes..a car is only original once..once its been re-painted it will NEVER be original again so paint it whatever makes you happy, for that matter the same goes for the gut..if its been re-done, its no longer original, its faking it to make you happy

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Personally I think Grigio Mare is too close to grey primer, thus the recommendation for Grigio Grafite. A dark blue with red interior would also look stunning. White would be my third choice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts