Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic tells the Weber 40 DCOEs that I swapped for the SPIKA unit should be rebuilt every few years, regardless of the mileage. Is this correct?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Depends entirely on how they are performing. If you're still getting good fuel mileage, and they aren't drawing air in from anywhere, not leaking, not going out of synch, etc, then leave well alone.
The older carbs with bronze / brass bushed throttle spindles tend to wear more than the later, sealed bearing type, but if you've got no play in the spindles, don't worry.
If they are still performing ok, get on with enjoying the driving experience.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
My mechanic tells the Weber 40 DCOEs that I swapped for the SPIKA unit should be rebuilt every few years, regardless of the mileage. Is this correct?
That's absolutely crazy! Once Webers are built and adjusted properly, they will continue working for many years and/or miles. I just can't imagine what the guy is thinking (other than trying to solicit more work).

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
NO, that is not correct.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
That's absolutely crazy! Once Webers are built and adjusted properly, they will continue working for many years and/or miles. I just can't imagine what the guy is thinking (other than trying to solicit more work).
+1.

There are a lot of myths with carbs ... they are very, very reliable. My suggestion if you want to is give the jets a clean out once a year if it makes you feel better ... otherwise just drive.

Also everything else should be checked before carbs if there is a problem.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
I rebuild / restore Webers for many BB members and others to concourse show condition.
I correctly set up pair of DCOE's running decent fuel should seldom IF EVER require adjustment. If the engine begins to run poorly, DO NOT MESS WITH THE WEBERS! Look elsewhere first.
Rebuild time is indicated by a worn balance linkage, or failure to transition off idle after storage, which is often debris in the lower passages, or RUST from the fuel tank. Often floats will stick, causing flooding after storage. Storage issues and todays ethanol laced fuels are the causes of most problems.
From my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts