Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide if I need to replace the thermostat. Last changed in 2005 about 40,000 miles ago (70,000 km). This is only thermostat number three, including the original, in 232,000 km.

Not overheating. 89C thermostat. Cooling fans working correctly. No erratic behaviour from the temperature gauge, it climbs steadily until the engine temperature stabilizes and stays steady from that point on. So there are no symptoms of partially opening thermostat. It appears to fully open and hold steady when fully hot.

Warmup seems to take longer than I remember, although it was always slow. Now I have only modern cars to compare to and they all warmup very quickly I have lost a baseline sense of how slowly old engines warm up.

I've timed it at about 10 minutes from cold to the point the thermostat opens enough to start the temperature gauge moving. Is that about right or too long?

And I did try to search, three times using different keywords. Search function seems to be less effective than before.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
I am Florida Alfisti now but still takes a bit for my S to warm up. My L back in VA takes a long time to warm up in just cool weather.

If your thermostat leaks (bypasses) by poppet at all fully cold it adds to warm up time.

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
You could try slipping a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. Cover about 1/2 the area.

Our GTV6 takes a long while to warm up - perhaps 10 minutes. I removed the T-stat & tested it but it seems to work properly. Our Spider warms up quickly - less than 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hi there, on my car in the last week, 10 minutes gets the temp needle 1/2-2/3 the way to 80 on the 164, starting from in a garage but going down hill the whole time. I did change the thermostat two years ago. I wouldn't say that I'm warm inside by then but I am getting some noticeable warmth.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
For me (I think in terms of miles), warming engine to 80° in ambient temps of 4.5° - 10° takes about 4 miles, full warmup about 2 miles later. If you notice slight differences now in warm up time it may be that the seal on the thermostat is beginning to go. Oil residue in the coolant, kind of typical for our engines, probably attacks that seal. I found mine had split when my warmup time started exceeding the normal range.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. The information accords with my observation. My memory must have become faulty since I've been driving much newer cars routinely now. It seems likely my car's thermostat is still working fine.

I recall my gtv6 was much the same. I replaced one thermostat on that engine when both of the head hoses blew requiring removal of the thermostat housing to replace them. I recall the length of the bolts and the restricted swing space for the wrench. I had no thin wall sockets nor a power driver at that time....

The 164 cooling system continues to warm up normally after the initial delay so I won't need to use the old cardboard trick. I last used that decades ago when the thermostat stuck closed in my Datsun 510 late at night, on the highway, in minus 30 C weather. I got a tow (back then tow trucks would just go out and "patrol" for customers on the highways) to a local service station open late. The cashier let me use their closed up shop to take out the dead thermostat, refill with coolant and stick a big sheet of cardboard over the radiator. We made it home without freezing. Those were the days when service stations actually were...and cars could be serviced with hand tools you carried in the trunk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts