Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating getting a new set of wheels and tires for my 89 graduate. The car sits on IAP sport springs with KYB shocks.
I found some panasport look alikes at Vicks Autosport for a reasonable price. The wheels are 15x7.
I would like to go with 205/50/15's on those wheels, my concern is that with the sport springs, will the tires rub? is anyone out there running a similar setup?

·
Registered
97 Posts
That setup can definitely work. I think the key to not getting rubbing is the offset on the rims. My 72 Spider has Centerline springs and Konis so it sits lower than stock. It has a set of Rota 15 x 7 panasport style rims with 205/50/15s on them. The left front tire rubs just slightly at full left lock. When I first put the rims on the rear, there was no rubbing but the tires sat too far inboard in the wheel wells. It looked stupid that way so I got a set of 7 mm spacers to move the rims outward. The tires now fill the wells nicely but the right tire sidewall will brush the inside of the fender if I go over a big woopdeedoo that really compresses the suspension. So I don't do that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They fit fine

I have Centerline yellow springs on front and the same Vick wheels with 205/50's, and they fit just right. Ride and handle great as well.

I had a problem with the stock springs since they were softer and let one tire rub when turning tight radius over bumps. The new springs solved that.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I "upgraded" from 14x6 wheels , and I ordered my ROTA`s directly from them ROTA Wheel RB 15x7 (4x108+30mm, 67.1 Hub)|Rota Racing Wheel
, not via Vicks (I think Vicks wheels have extra holes that you don't use, and I did not like that) , 205x15x7 also, using Falken 205/50/15s tires..."normal" springs, no rubbing

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Does anyone know if a 195X55x15 will work? I have the Alfaholics set up and my rear tries sit a bit deeper up in the wheel well, (back looks lower, but car is actually level).
I like the tire choices in 195x55x15 better and also feel it may retain more steering feel.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I'm running 195/60R15 Falken Ziex on Sora wheels on my 169 HP Spider. The tire diameter is close to the original size and the speedometer is amazingly accurate (for an Alfa). I have owned this car for 15 years and I have tried a lot of different tires, including 205's on it and on a couple of GTV's. I have Richard Jemison dropped spindle uprights, a Shankle 27mm front sway bar and IAP/Vick red springs. The front shocks are Spax adjustables and the rears are Koni reds. I currently have 30 psi in the fronts and 27 psi in the rears. I have ridden in Alfa race cars and I have a feel for the way that they are supposed to handle. My car handles pretty well but I think that the springs are too stiff. Richard Jemison, who has driven it, thinks they are about right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bjorn S - Wow, I wish the red on my Spider looked like the red on yours. Looks fantastic.

Here's a recent photo of mine with the Rotas and a set of super sticky Toyo R1Rs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Bjorn S - Wow, I wish the red on my Spider looked like the red on yours. Looks fantastic.

Here's a recent photo of mine with the Rotas and a set of super sticky Toyo R1Rs.

thanks , a 20 yr old paint job done by previous owner...original matching color....10,000 miles now since re paint, garaged

1 - 14 of 14 Posts