Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this site but have owned my 74 GTV for 30 years. I know this is a well discussed topic but most of the treads are a few years old and the recommendations are unfortunately obsolete.

When I first bought my car I used 195-60-14 tires (mounted on aftermarket Momo 14x6 wheels). Always thought those tires were too small for the wheel well. When I did a more extensive restoration in mid '90's I went to 205-60-14 (Pirelli P6s, same wheels). I liked the look but felt the 205s were a bit "heavy" and the car lost some nimbleness. This seems to be a common statement based on earlier posts.

So, I need to put some new tires on and I am tempted to go to a 185-70-14 size but also see a lot of support for the 195-65-14. Regardless, the choices for quality performance tires in these sizes are pretty poor. I only use the car for summer fair weather driving. So I'm hoping there are some good recomendations from the Alfisti on this site facing similar dillemma.

Thanks in advance and sorry to bring up a rehash thread once again.
Ted

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
One of the best things I did to my GTV was "downsize" the tires from 195s to 185-70-14s. I'm very happy with the fit, appearance and "handling" of the narrower tire as it returned the proper feel and character for the car's vintage. No more heavy steering, concerns about broken steering boxes or big arms required for parking. The steering is light and nimble. The car is for weekend/street use only and has Pirelli P4s; it's lowered a bit but not slammed to the ground; stock shocks, bushings and bars; the tires squeel a bit at the limit but I find the grip more than enough for weekend fun and my driving skill level.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bellagt- Sounds like our cars may be similar in that mine also has been slightly lowered with aftermarket springs (Centerline) and I do have Koni's but isn't radical at all. Moving back closer to the original size seems like a poular recomendation and I will probably go that route. Problem is the lack of performance tires in those sizes anymore. P4s are probably OK but wish there was something a bit more aggressize to choose from. Seen some recomendations for either Falken (512s) or Sumitomo HTR200. Don't know much about either of those.

Any tire brand/model recomendations would be appreciated given limited options

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Ted,

This is what you want for your car. I have them on my GTV lowered and the grip is amazing its like a glue.

Like you were saying when it comes to 185/70/14 the selection is very limited and not enough choice for summer tire treadwear below 300.
This one is 200.

195/60-14 Falken Azenis RT-615K Tires

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would go for the 185/70-14 like I have in mine. (Bridgestone)
Good handling, Vintage feeling and look and not heavy steering!
I was never a fan of very wide tires in Giulia coupes...

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
If you can get them I like the Nokian I3. Got them on three different Alfa's and they are awesome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'preciate the feedback guys. Still in a quandry though.

Giorgio68- Probably a good sticky tire but been there done that as far as tire size. Really think, (not convinced) that i want to go away from 60 series for enjoyable street driving with good (but at times aggressive) manners. My car isn't that lowered and didn't like the match (aesthetically) of 195-60 when I used them originally. Also don't need a super sticky tire for the way i drive.

alfa10530- Seems like a lot of people sugest going back to 185. Don't know a good match (preferably H rated) tire in the Bridgstone (or other) line though.

alfasrule- Yes they do. Doesn't look like Nokian has a 185 or 195 that may do the trick.

I am amazed at how the market has changed since I last put new sneakers on my baby. ***! How are all the vintage sports cars dealing with this?? We are hardly the only group with this problem. 20" chrome spinners aren''t an option for my GTV!!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I need a solution also. Stock springs/ride height w/uprated front sway bar and Konis. '71 GTV.

·
Registered
358 Posts
'preciate the feedback guys. Still in a quandry though.

alfa10530- Seems like a lot of people sugest going back to 185. Don't know a good match (preferably H rated) tire in the Bridgstone (or other) line though.
H rated are up to 130 miles. Are you going that fast with your GTV?

Mine are T rated, up to 118 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
H rated are up to 130 miles. Are you going that fast with your GTV?

Mine are T rated, up to 118 miles.
Valid point. My GTV has only been north of 100 once (my old '75 Alfetta GTV could cruise up there all day). My understanding (perhaps ignorance) is that other aspects of tire "integrety" is at a higher level with higher speed rating, sidewall strength being one.

What model Bridgestones do you use?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
H rated tires

195/65-14 is nominally 0.9% less than the original 185/70-14 diameter.

You will find more H rated tires in the 196/65 than the 185/70 but there are some out there.

Discount Tire Direct shows the Falken Ziex ZE-512 available in the 195/65-14 H rated

Maxxis, a brand I did not know of a few years ago but was recommended to me by one of our service providers when I oversaw the fleet at work. His prices were good but the tire served us well. I ran an assortment of them on our fleet of three F350 dually pickups, two 1 ton cargo vans, a minivan and 10 ply rated ST (special trailer) trailer tires on three fully loaded 10,000 pound trailers. the trailer tires particularly held up way better than the competition. He offered employee disounts to his fleet customers and a few of us put Maxxis tires on our personal vehicles. Worked well for me. Never had a premature failure due to the tire.

They show three offerings in the 185/70-14 size

Maxxis - Product Search Results

Wayne

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have 185 x 70/14 Michelin Pilots which are great. Have you looked at Vredenstein Classic range? I use them on my Giuliettas, wonderful performance and not expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, decided to go the "closer to original" path and bought 185-70 Pirelli P4s. Probably not the most performance tire out there but better than most options (also nice to keep the tires in the Italian family). As one saleman reminded me the quality of today's tires is still superior to what was "performance" back in the day. Will be anxious to see how much of a change in character the car will have after 3 decades of using wider profile tires.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Ted

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Will be anxious to see how much of a change in character the car will have after 3 decades of using wider profile tires.
It was a night and day revelation for me... changed the whole character of the car and in some ways made it more challenging, hence fun, to drive it. IMO, the "closer to stock" tire size brings them back to the limits of the rest of the car. With a stock engine, suspension, etc. you really can't take very much advantage of a wider, stickier tire. And for once, the sales guy is right... today's radials are a heck of a alot better than the tires the original GTV/Giulia was designed for. Hope it works out for you:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
It was a night and day revelation for me... changed the whole character of the car and in some ways made it more challenging, hence fun, to drive it. IMO, the "closer to stock" tire size brings them back to the limits of the rest of the car. With a stock engine, suspension, etc. you really can't take very much advantage of a wider, stickier tire. And for once, the sales guy is right... today's radials are a heck of a alot better than the tires the original GTV/Giulia was designed for. Hope it works out for you:)
I couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So, I need to put some new tires on and I am tempted to go to a 185-70-14 size but also see a lot of support for the 195-65-14. Regardless, the choices for quality performance tires in these sizes are pretty poor. I only use the car for summer fair weather driving. So I'm hoping there are some good recomendations from the Alfisti on this site facing Ted
I've owned both sizes recently. IMHO, the 185-70-14s are the way to go. They handle just as well, look better in the wheel wells, steer easier, and are more accurate on the speedo. I just got a new set of Perelli P4 in this size. Very pleased.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I think the P4 is H rated. Veredestine offers an all season 185-70-14 in a faster speed rating if that is of concern.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts