Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to chase down an odd idle issue when in drive or reverse and narrowed it down to the load on the alternator. I remembered that the Bosch alternators had replaceable regulators on my MB's and was hoping for the same on the 164. Lo and behold what I found. Looks like I could have replaced it a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
Yep you sure can replace it. I have done it many times usually $12-15 bucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've replaced the bushings before in the benz's but I'm older and smarter now and will let someone else do that work.

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
A year or so ago someone started a similar thread that included a picture of their old brush-regulator assembly. Their's also had one brush worn shorter than the other. Seems odd that they would wear unevenly, but I guess that's the way it works.

Don't think there's much question that your's should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
I've replaced the bushings before in the benz's but I'm older and smarter now and will let someone else do that work.
"I was older then but so much younger now" so I can my own regulators.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Steve, one day I'll be as young as you and will do mine again.

The Bosch regulators on the MB's wear the same way. Maybe there's different tensions in the springs? I thought it was odd at first too.

New regulator ordered from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
Steve, one dayi'll be as young as you and will do mine again.

The Bosch regulators on the benz's wear the same way. Maybe there's different tensions in the springs? I thought it was odd at first too.

New regulator ordered from Amazon.
I think it is just that the two rings the bruches wear on are different diameters.

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
I like the musical quote.

Ahh, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

Bob Dylan, covered by The Byrds.
I guess the lines were a bit blurred in my paraphrase but you got the idea. I do like what the Bryds did with his song.

Also John Sebastin Presents Folk Rewind My Music DVD includes My Back Pages done by Roger McGuinn. Interesting read on My Back Pages here: My Back Pages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is another version with all the dudes: [ame]https://vimeo.com/23638459[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts