Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Spider 2.0 Veloce "Aerodinamica" 1986
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that on my S3, the oil sump seems to be tilted.

It runs fine, leaves a couple drops of oil in the garage when parked, just had a service last week, oil change, radiator refurbished, nothing special.
I've noticed while googling for images that not all Spider had perfectly level oil pans. But what can explain this?

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
That's normal. It's not the sump that's tilted, it's the engine. Alfa designed it that way. Not sure of the reason. Freaked me out the first time I noticed it. Open the hood and take notice, if you really look, that the engine is not level. It is tilted.

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Likely due to sagging engine mounts. The right side is hardest to change - maybe a PO changed the left side and gave up on the right side? The sump should be level, the top of the engine is canted to the left.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, 2 differing opinions. Not sure if I have to freak out or not :D
Would you say that a sagging engine mount is an urgent / costly / dangerous issue? (sorry for the newbie question)

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
No reason to freak out. Eric is probably correct. Could very well be the engine mount. The only urgency would be if the bad mounts were causing the flywheel and belt to rub on the cross member. That right side mount is a pain to change, but not impossible. Should take a few hours and some skinned knuckles.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK - looks like the Spider will go back to the garage this Autumn, then - thanks to you both for the heads up!

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - a great post (and challenge!)

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
That's normal. It's not the sump that's tilted, it's the engine. Alfa designed it that way. Not sure of the reason. Freaked me out the first time I noticed it. Open the hood and take notice, if you really look, that the engine is not level. It is tilted.
Engine tilt = normal

Oil sump tilt = not normal

I agree with Eric, you need new engine mount, at least on the PIA passenger side. A winter project is a good idea.

What is interesting is that when the mounts are done, the engine will still have the tilt and the sump will be level. That is some engineering!

Good luck,

Vin

Reactions: pantera928

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
Another vote with Eric. Bottom of the pan should be level; top of the engine tilts toward the exhaust side. Typically sagged engine mount. Not a biggee unless it's allowing the engine to hit something, especially if it's sagged enough for the back of the pan to hit the steering link.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that you mention it, at low speed, when manoeuvering, full left or full right, I do hear some weird noises...

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
yep your mounts...do the trans mount at the same time....that way you renew the 3 mount points.

get good rubber engine mounts from a reliable alfa source, sometimes called heavy duty (you don't need the fancy racy aluminium sheathed mounts for cruising around on swiss roads!
believe me you do not want to do this job twice;)

tilt.jpg

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so you all know - I have rarely seen such a helpful forum with so many people willing to share their expertise. I have just spent 2 hours reading the whole great thread you pointed to, sourcing the parts and I feel like all I need is time, courage, proper tools (not sure my hydraulic jack is reliable enough to slowly put the engine back into place) and maybe a second pair of hands at some point to do this, even if I'm "mechanically challenged"... Again thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
One of the great attractions of Alfas is the folks who are attracted to them. I started on MGs, then Fiats, then Alfas, have had Porsches, VWs, Tigers, BMWs, you name it. Alfa folks are far and away the most friendly, knowledgeable, willing to help, in my experience.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update to confirm. Yes, the engine mount on the passenger side is ... tired. Even though it looks like it has been changed by a PO.

On driver side it looks like it's still the original (paint in place), compressed, but slightly in better shape...

Looks like changing both is a must anyway.

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
That intake one is the worst I have ever seen by some measure. The exhaust side is bulging pretty good too. Change 'em!
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
Is your steering very rough and heavy? Look at the back of the engine, where the steering link crosses under it. Normally there is about an inch of clearance from the link to the pan, but your engine might be hitting the link.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is my first Spider so can't compare but when manoeuvering it is heavy and makes some weird noises when fully "turned" right or left.
I'll check the clearance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts