Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots and lots of threads on getting the Front Crankshaft nut off.

I don't have air tools or an electric impact wrench, so I used the much debated "bump the starter motor" method to get the nut off.

Even if I could beg borrow or steal an impact wrench, the rad is still in so there is no room for the wrench and I do not want to remove the rad.

Any suggestions on how to tighten it back down as the engine just keeps turning and turning?

I tried to lock down the drive shaft, but that big guibo is a giant rubber band and just keeps turning.

Thanks in advance.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chock the wheels and put the transmission in 5th gear.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.

The car is currently up on jacks, which is no problem to put down, but any way if the car is up on jacks?

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi Vince,
If you remove the tin flywheel cover, you should be able to jam a large screwdriver (or the proper tool) and lock the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Vince,
If you remove the tin flywheel cover, you should be able to jam a large screwdriver (or the proper tool) and lock the flywheel.
Hi Ken,

Was thinking about you tonite and your offer last year of the electric impact wrench. :D

I actually tried that first, and couldn't see a way to lock the flywheel. I would love to see a picture of that if anyone has it.

I ended up taking Eric's advice. Put the car down on her tires, put in 5th, chocked all 4 wheels and it worked.

I used a 4 foot cheater bar which helped a lot.

Thanks for the offer again last year and the advice tonite.

Vin

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Vince, be extremely careful in reassembling the crankshaft pulley/key and all that stuff.
If not, there is a chance the crank pulley will break after in use.
They are very hard to find.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi Ken,

Was thinking about you tonite and your offer last year of the electric impact wrench. :D

I actually tried that first, and couldn't see a way to lock the flywheel. I would love to see a picture of that if anyone has it.

I ended up taking Eric's advice. Put the car down on her tires, put in 5th, chocked all 4 wheels and it worked.

I used a 4 foot cheater bar which helped a lot.

Thanks for the offer again last year and the advice tonite.

Vin
Vin,
I'm not too far from you and I have lots of tools, so feel free any time :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You can buy a chain pulley holder tool, I have gotten the nuts on and off with one and a long breaker bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts