Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between the tie rod and center link ends on the 69-85 spiders and the post-85 spiders? The tie rod ends are extremely hard to find locally, but I have some that will be in tomorrow that are compatible with several Mercedes and the 1969-85 Veloce, but I'm curious as to whether they will work with my 88 Grad.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
All 105 - 115 series Alfas use the same tie rod ends, so IF the Mercedes parts fit 1969-85's, they should work OK on your '88.

There is some complication with larger & smaller rod ends used at different points along the three tie rods. I just use the small ones at all 6 locations. But if the Mercedes parts correspond to the larger Alfa rod ends, you may have difficulties depending on which parts you are replacing. I'll admit that this paragraph may not be totally clear.

Those parts compatibility charts are seldom very accurate. For example, the 105 chassis was introduced in the 1964 timeframe, so that "1969-85" range seems to be incorrect at both ends.

tie rod ends are extremely hard to find locally
Most Alfa parts are hard to find locally. I assume you know the mail order sources for parts like tie rod ends. But yes, if you need to repair something quickly, parts availability can be a challenge.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I would have ordered them from IAP, but I need to get it out of the way pretty quick. It's in my uncles shop and we have a Porsche 928 on the lift and the Alfa is on jack stands in front of it. Haha.

Good to know that the Mercedes part is the same part though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah. I would have ordered them from IAP, but I need to get it out of the way pretty quick. It's in my uncles shop and we have a Porsche 928 on the lift and the Alfa is on jack stands in front of it. Haha.

Please print the part number that references the mercedes part?

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Whoa! I don't think I said that. I just said that if they fit a 1969-85 Alfa, then they will fit your '88.

We won't know until you receive the parts, install them, and verify there are no clearance issues (some rod ends have the same thread and taper, but their bodies are larger). At that point, please let us know that they fit, and report the part number, price, and source.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part number is Beck/Arnley 101-3878.

Interestingly enough, my clutch master cylinder caused my center link tie rod end to go out. Brake fluid leaked out of the Clutch master cylinder and onto the ball joint, eventually causing it to fail. And boy was it bad. I had about an inch of play in the driver's side wheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It it's listed for the earlier spiders and will screw into the rods, methinks it should work. I'm pretty confident it will work though. The outer tie rod ends and the right side centerlink end are new Porsche 356 parts an are the smaller ones. And if I were to have any clearance issue, I can flip around the tie rods and center links until it all fits together. Might make a nightmare for the alignment shop, but oh well. Haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Grad is back together! The tie rod ends worked beautifully. It was a huge pain in the butt to change them, but they work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts