Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had engine rebuilt a month ago...now got about 350 miles on it , I think I hear some "ticking" on idle after I have run it....would that be valves needing adjustment?

·
Administrator
17,030 Posts
Could be. Even properly adjusted the valve train in our cars is not very quiet.

Another possibility is an exhaust leak. Use a 2' length of heater hose as a stethescope to listen to any suspect areas. The hose won't amplify sounds but it'll help narrow down the location.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
check to make sure exhaust manifold bolts are torqued down properly, especially 4th one
that'd be my bet too........typical ticking noise on alfas after a rebuild....the nuts need checking.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, appreciate it! exhaust would be easier to do also!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drove it by mechanic yesterday , who listened to it...unfortunately he says its the valves on no 4....need to bring it back later and remove head , cams to adjust

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
You should not have to remove the head. Adjusting valve clearances is simple and should only take an hour for someone who has done it a few times before.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should not have to remove the head. Adjusting valve clearances is simple and should only take an hour for someone who has done it a few times before.
Really? my mechanic said he had to remove head to take cams out to get to valve adjustment....any help I can give him? info on how this is done? he is familiar w Alfa engines, but maybe not that much?

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
you don't remove the head to adjust the valve 'gaps', but if the valve needed grinding in or replacing, or a new seat, then obviously you would.

I think it depends what your mechanic was doing and just how you undertood him.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Bjorn S said:
unfortunately he says its the valves on no 4
Agree with previous posts: the mechanic doesn't need to remove the head if all that is needed is valve re-adjustment.

However, from Bjorn's brief comment above, we don't know that adjustment is all that is needed. I suppose it's possible that after only 350 miles some calamity has happened that requires head removal. If that is the case, I would expect the mechanic to bear the cost of re-doing his work.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in talking to Mechanic again , I found out I misunderstood him....he wasn't talking about removing the head , just valve cover and cams.....my bad!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Report:
brought it in....next day got it back...no charge...he said it was "on him/follow up"...he adjusted intake valve on no1 , exhaust valve on no 4. now runs nice and sounds like it should!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts