Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I found the Vreds have some 30 to 40 percent better traction than the best "street" tires of the late 1960s. That's in wet or dry.
[/QUOTE]

That's been my experience, also. the 165x14 H rated Vredesteins were very stable, quick handling tires in either dry or wet weather. I went with some inexpensive Kuhmo 185x65x15 this time around, largely because they were recommended by an autocrosser (found on the internet so it had to be true, right?). In the few hundred miles that I've driven them, I can say they haven't embarrassed themselves, are crisp handling and as quiet on the road as the Vredesteins. But then there's always the Avon CR6-ZZ's at about $260US ea.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also still looking for TZ's with hubcaps.
ClassicAlfa is the only one that sells them with clips: WH040/1 5.5 x 15" TZ/Ti SUPER STYLE ALLOY WHEEL WITH HUBCAP CLIPS - Classic Alfa

The holes look kind of "fat". When I look at these pictures, I still don't know if I like them. But looking at this picture, I think there actually pretty cool. I'm allmost 100% sure these are the same wheels:

Then you have Compomotive, which is the same als Hein Brand which is the same as Highwood Alfa. Besides the fact I read that they are kinda heavy, they also don't come with holes/clips.
Comp: 15" Classic and Special Order Wheels
Hein B: Felge TZ 5,5 x 15" ET 40 - Hein Brand
Highwood: Wheels

Than there's OKP, which look to be the same as ClassicAlfa. But they don't advertise the version with clips. But DO advertise with 5" and 5,5", where CA is only 5,5".
OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

The funny thing is, that when you compare these replica's to the real wheels, they both used a different one as an example.
ClassicAlfa/OKP used this one:

HB/Comp/Highwood used this:

So....what to do? Or are there better options? Are there people with some experience with the ClassicAlfa-wheels?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
That's a very nice and complete evaluation. Appreciate it! I have HB's, on a slightly street prepped 2L lowered car they look fine w/o hubcaps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Thank you Giulia Veloce for putting together that comparison.

With all due respect to the great work these Alfa parts suppliers, make, find and supply, I feel all of the repro wheels look on the `thick` side - all the cut outs seem to have thicker lips/edges!

It is odd that it seems to affect all models; could it be....
- My eyes, foto angle, latter seems unlikely?
- Material, ally vs mag?
- Casting technique?
- Sheer variety of wheel models?

What am I missing that the originals do for me but the repros don`t?

Richard

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm with you Richard, the repro cutouts all have fat lips and seem more 'D' shaped than the rounded corner rectangle cutouts of the originals. the repros just 'look' heavier to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's exactly what holds me from buying those ClassicAlfa-TZ's. The colour is'nt also correct (too light and too metallic), but that's a problem you can solve easily. The D-shaped holes just don't look correct.That's where the HB's look far better, their shape is more realistic.

AlfaHolics once made a couple of sets of ally TZ's, but they quit really fast selling them because of some quality-issues.
They still sell a briliant magnesium TZ/SZ-wheel, which the also sells as Ti Super-wheel in 4,5"/5"/5,5": Alfaholics Magnesium 15? TZ Wheel | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

These wheels look by far the best, they have de correct "jellybean" of "kidney"-shaped hole, where the inner part is slightly bend outwards. The only problem is their price...allmost €1000,- per wheel excl paintjob and excl holes/clips. Just a bit out of budget for me. :)

Jim/Max, are you reading this? Are there plans for making a new set of TZ-replica's in the same price-range as your GTA-replica's? (about €1000/set)

Spot the differences: It only has 10 vents/holes, where the wheels from ClassicAlfa/OKP and HeinB/Comp/Highwood have 11 holes. That is also a big difference! In the black/white pictures from yesterday there is one wheel with 10 vents and 1 with 11 holes. :)

And ofcourse, let us not forget the Autoparco's, which are mentioned at the start of this thread:

And with hubcaps:

And then compare them with the HeinBrands:

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I realize I may sound heretical but, unless you're restoring an authentic TI Super, is it really of absolute importance to have perfect replicas of a TI Campy wheel on a road-going Giulia Super? I mention this because, having closely examined Classic Alfas 5 and 5.5in TI Super style wheels, I can attest that to my non-originale sensibilities they are well made and look really good. I was very close to buying a set w/ Giulietta hubcaps for my Super with CA announced that they were now selling GTA style wheels in a 6x15x30mm offset size that would work well on my Super. I liked those even batter so that's what I bought.

Don't get me wrong: I like this discussion. There is some question, however, about just what constitutes an "authentic" Campy wheel design. I suspect that Campy probably made different runs of TI/TZ wheels, each with slightly different design differences.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Err well yes, Jim!

We are not talking rocket science here, only if you are producing a replica why not make it as close to the original as possible? I could give lots of examples but I think most agree.

One feature of Campagnolo wheels is the thin lip or edge to the vent holes, so why not replicate this? I suggested casting technology, but no pickups so far.

Richard

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I agree. The problem, I think, is what exactly is original? We have some accurate photographic records to go by and some actual period wheels to examine. But, Classic Alfa commented on their site that their wheels were made after an original. But if you have "an" original, perhaps it isn't "the" original because there quite easily could have been different versions that nobody in 1963 felt were important enough to document. I mean, really, we're talking about an Italy of 5 decades ago where craftasmen were far more interested in artistry than archives. But that's what makes this stuff so much fun. :cool:

What's fascinating about this whole mystery is the numbers of subtle differences in wheels that are being made for and sold to a very select (i.e., small) population of buyers. Vendors are understandably circumspect about just who makes their wheels, but can there be that many manufacturers who will make relatively small runs of similar wheels? It would seem to me that there's an obvious economy-of-scale here. There just can't be that many companies out there making these wheels and, yet, how do we otherwise account for the differences? The mystery continues . . .

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Hi Mark

A good question, and not sure a satisfactory answer can be given.

Just to point out your first foto of `indented` valve holder is not correct.

Richard

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
After all this to-ing and fro-ing, can you imagine the pissin' contest that going to happen when concourse judges try to decide what is and isn't an original or original style Campy wheel? Duck and cover!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
It's simple Jim: original -0, look-alikes -2, other wheels -4, turbinas -10. ;)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Maybe that's why you'll never see one of my cars in a concourse. Well, maybe "barnfind" or "Alfa heresy" class. . .

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
FWIR there is either another thread on this topic or I might have posted earlier in this one, BUT, again FWIR in my research of vintage pics, the TZ wheels had a more "trapezoidal" hole, somewhat more like a Giulietta steelie, while the TI Super was more pure "oblong". The Super parts manual lists a parts number for the alloy wheel, but I do not have a TZ parts manual to compare, only vintage pics.

BTW, my friend Wes recently reminded me that some 14" wheels he has tried foul with the earlier front Dunlop brake calipers. Hence the use of 15" wheels or vice versa. FWIW.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
As far as I know only Autoparko in Japan has TZ style wheels in 6x15. Most of those sold are 5.5in or sometimes 5.0in.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
A little story about those TZ/ Ti Super alloy wheels.
Had them on my 101 Spider, 63 Giulia Sprint and the 67 Super.
The first two had the "Three-shoes", of course well-set-up. At time driven hard.
I had the "Brembo" brakes from the Milano installed, with pads from C/L.
Same events and the same driving, but the brake dust on the lovely alloy wheels was a bother. It took some work to get them clean.
The others had barely perceptible dust that just a duster was able to remove with ease.
:)

121 - 140 of 154 Posts