Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hi Alfanuts

May I suggest - gently! - that you read the posts....post #2 suggests against HB due to weight, #3 suggests alternatives and I guess pages 2,3,4,5 et al also have advice.

Richard

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
Richard, thanks. Last night, after my initial post, I read the all the posts and added above the following, "Ahh, I found above the weight of the HB are 8.5kg (18.7#). Heavy indeed considering an early mag alloy CD-35 is ~12#. I guess I conclude form the above dialogue that a TZ wheel hole/pattern (ovals) is not the same as a TI Super (more rectangularish/rounded corner trapezoids)". I indeed was asking for specific weights (of HB and OE) to draw my own conclusions, which I found in page 4 or 5. I still find it strange that the manufacturer's site did not mention this not-unimportant detail. Thanks and my regards, Bruce

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Just as an aside TZ1 wheels and Ti Super are not identical. No time to see if already mentioned - maybe by me! - posts and far from reference books but my TZ wheels do not fit without serious grinding a Ti Super.

Cannot comment of hole shape or position at the moment.

Richard

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
This is thoroughly discussed in the posts above, the difference in hole design anyway, but not the fitment issue. Perhaps the repro manufacturers have addressed the fitment issue as there is a set (HB, 15"x5.5) on my Super. Perhaps it's the offset?

PS: and heavy as said above at 18.7#. :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi Bruce

I hesitated before posting - the reason is I have an exact copy, mag etc, of one of the types of 5.5 TZ wheel, which fits the TZ perfectly but does not fit a Ti Super. Regretfully, fact, as I have learnt to my cost.

It did fit with a lot of grinding of wheel and caliper....

Richard

·
Registered
342 Posts
Richards

Which wheel, specifically, won't fit? Are we talking about an original or one available today from Hein Brand or subsequently International Auto?

Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I had some castings made from an original TZ1 5.5k wheel in magnesium and it wouldn`t fit directly onto a Ti Super.....make that what you will....

Richard

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
That is a 5.5 kg original TZ mag alloy wheel. About 12.1 pounds then. Like an early Cromodora CD-35 mag alloy and others of that era/ilk.

Was it an offset problem?? Sounds like it if you had to grind the calipers. I think along the way, someone said they were the same, and they clearly are not based on the vent hole pattern and fitment. Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
TI Super replicas w/ hubcaps

Autoparco in Japan sells some great looking 6x15 TI Super replica wheels which are drilled for Giulietta hubcap clips. The original TI Super's photos show the hubcaps fitted to the Campys, something I always thought was a very Italian bit of subtlety. Unfortunately, the Autoparco wheels are expensive not cheaply imported.

I just got an email from Giles at Classic Alfa. He tells me that they are in the process of having their 5.5x15x35 TI Super replica wheels drilled for Giulietta hubcaps. They should be ready shortly. That's good news.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
Jim, What is the weight of the two wheels you mention? The Heinbrand replicas are 18.7 pounds according to a post earlier in this thread. And, can you put a sombrero in the middle? Are there any other ways to cover up the center holes? Trevy has some small center caps inside the holes on his GTA replicas. Thanks for the research Jim.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

you can on theser wheels. They are extremely light and have the correct rough structure that the HB's don't. These are aluminium, but due to modern production processes, weigh about the same as a mag Technomagnesio.
See the other pic, with cover. That looks even better!

I love these wheels, have one Super running them!

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Rik,

Can you tell me what the overall cost of these wheels was, including shipping to you in the Netherlands? Send me a PM if you prefer. These look somehow wider than the original Ti Super stradale wheels (early type with the square cut-outs) but I agree, they're a handsome wheel indeed.

Incidentally, I've just fitted a set of Vredestein 175/70-15 (after a few years with those Avons) and, so far, I'm happy with them. A little more forgiving than the Avons on uneven road surfaces and slightly more progressive.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi Alex!

These wheels are 6x15. However, every homologation sheet I have for GTA and TI Super lists this size as homologated.

Well, price. I am a reseller, as I run a shop. But fair and square, I managed to order these thru OKP.de. BUT, and there is a but. He doesn't have anymore, can and will order, but from 10 or 25 sets at a go as shipping will otherwise be prohibitive.
I paid about 1200 euro for a set of five wheels. inc shipping ex VAT. they come complete with valves in stainless, with rubber capping, and the four clamps and screws for fitting the hubcaps. They fit fine, plenty of space even on a moderately lowered Giulia.
I am truly amazed at the quality. I believe, seeing as what is inside the wheel, that they are made by the same company as Panasport. I would LOVE to sell more sets, but can't as I will have to order at least 10 sets from mr. Ondrak.
Can't stump that up. However, if all you guys mail him, or order from me with a small deposit, I believe I can get them here. Wonderful wonderful wheel... with a set of 5.5j Techno's at hand (for sale, set of five, pm me for price and condition/pictures)
I say they weigh in at just about the same. Very very light.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ti Campagnolo

This is from an original publicity photo of the Giulia Ti Super showing the road version of the Campagnolo elektron alloys. Note that the cooling holes are different to the more common TZ version, and the early Sprint GT hubcaps.

I actually like the look of these wheels a lot, mostly because they're more subtle and rare too. The only problem is, who has any - or who would have the guts to produce them?

Alex.

Here is an other picture of that wheel :

Size : 4.5" x 15"

So they still do exist!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reviving an old thread ...

I was going through a few files last weekend and came across this black and white photo which I purchased at a swap meet some years ago, but had completely forgotten about. The photo speaks for itself, but on the back is written "Giulia Ti Super, nouvelles roues coulies en élektron" ('new wheels cast in elektron'). The date is unknown but the photo credit is given to one "Et[ien] Cornil". Does anyone recognise these wheels? Careful inspection of the cooling holes shows that they're not the 80s/90s Technomagnesio replicas, and certainly not the Hein Brand/Compomotive items.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on a set of the early square-hole style of wheel but, for now at least, can anyone add any info on the wheel below?

Cheers,

Alex.

Hello Alex

They are the genuine magnesium (elektron) alloys supplied as original equipment on the Ti Supers. As shown, they differ from the TZ wheels in having squared-off holes. This is clearly an early build car - you'll notice that behind the holes are the gorgeous finned alloy brake drums that the first of the Ti Supers were equipped with - pretty soon after, they switched to discs. [My 62/63 Giulia Sprint 101 Series has the same brake drums, and they're very effective (pulled over 1g in their last 'green slip' - like MOT - test) but because there's no power assist, you have to stamp on them.]

Yes, it would be terrific to have a set of these wheels, but hens' teeth would be easier to find.

Cheers

Geoff
Well a rim 'inspired' by this design can be found at Classic Alfa :

Now we only have to wait for the square ones ;)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, Classic Alfa has some 5.5 replicas being drilled for hubcaps. One potential problem I mentioned to Giles is that there's a difference between the 5in and 5.5in wheels. The latter are made, presumably, by Compomotive. The other day at my friend, Bob's shop in Austin, we compared the 5in wheels with the 5.5in wheels and found that the inner curvatures are slightly different. To us it looked like the 5in versions might be a better fit with Giulietta hubcaps but, then, perhaps not. Classic Alfa does their homework so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I like the looks of the Autoparco wheels, but they're expensive relative to Classic Alfa's Compomotive wheels. The extra .5in isn't all that important when the best tire choices are 175/70/15 or 185/65/15. Both will work well with 5.5 or 6in widths. But this is a hobby, so who's counting, right? :)

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Koenraad,

Where did you find that wheel?? And do you have any photos of the underside? Are they for sale?

The thing I like about these wheels is that they do not seem so heavily 'dished' and 'recessed' as the Autoparco replicas.

Now, my question has to be ... if Autoparco has shown that lightness and strength can be achieved using aluminium alloy, why can accurate replicas of these early wheels not be produced? As much as I admire the RMR/Autoparco wheels and the work involved to create them, the more informed eye will always notice the subtle difference of the original.

Cheers,

Alex.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
8,000 views and almost 100 posts and I`m still a bit lost....

Below are two fotos of the wheels on my Ti Super in 1964, prepped by AutoDelta and delivered to Alec Mildren in Australia. First foto shows front wheel a couple of days after delivery. Front and rear wheels the same.

Second foto is some time later and shows a different wheel pattern.

Though some other posted pics show similar hole profile none seem to have the inflator actually within one of the apertures! Similarly as pointed out by others the dishing seems to be different....

Would it be possible for someone to put all these images to-gether so that a proper comparison can be made?

Finally anyone know a source for the wheel I`ve posted in the first picture, or better still actually has an identical wheel.

Richard

Attachments

81 - 100 of 154 Posts