Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Translation, sort of

Alex said:
Richard,

The only other option would seem to be the wheels offered by this Japanese company who produce a lightweight alloy replica TZ/Ti Super wheel, with the original strengthening webs that other wheels seem to lack. Price at the moment is $275 per wheel but I cannot tell you much more than that since the entire website is in Japanese. I believe that someone on the BB might be able to help you with this side of things. Let us know what you discover!

http://www.babu.jp/~autoparco/parts/no39.html

Alex.

p.s. I seem to recall a guy in the UK making these wheels too, amongst other racing parts - I think I recognised the name as one of the 750/101 racers over here - but for some reason his website is not on my Favorites list and Google hasn't turned up anything. Maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can supply the link.
With a little googling and translation, check this out.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://alfano1.web.infoseek.co.jp/5_parts_index_wheels.htm&prev=/search?q=autoparco+wheels&hl=en&lr=

I'm not sure what it means, but the 6Jx14 wheels look interesting for my application (street), and it appears the centers are true to the original racing wheel in overall height/depth???

Are these wheels available? Pricing is about 150k yen for 4.

Ish

·
Registered
439 Posts
GTA Strada Replicas

Alex said:
Richard,

The only other option would seem to be the wheels offered by this Japanese company who produce a lightweight alloy replica TZ/Ti Super wheel, with the original strengthening webs that other wheels seem to lack. Price at the moment is $275 per wheel but I cannot tell you much more than that since the entire website is in Japanese. I believe that someone on the BB might be able to help you with this side of things. Let us know what you discover!

http://www.babu.jp/~autoparco/parts/no39.html

Alex.

p.s. I seem to recall a guy in the UK making these wheels too, amongst other racing parts - I think I recognised the name as one of the 750/101 racers over here - but for some reason his website is not on my Favorites list and Google hasn't turned up anything. Maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can supply the link.
The GTA Stradas on the Autoparco/babu website are actually the GTA Stradas that are OEM'd by Alfaholics... and have all of the Alfaholics markings, except the Alfaholics name, which has been blotted out. The Japanese wheel actually shows, 'Made in UK' and 'X-Ray' stamps.

The Alfaholics 6X14 GTA Strada wheel weighs 5.9 kg, or about 13 lb. Cost about $210 per wheel (without VAT) plus shipping for about $970 to your US door, depending on the exchange rate. This includes wheel centers, which are about $7 each from domestic sources.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Ti Super Stradale wheels

This is from an original publicity photo of the Giulia Ti Super showing the road version of the Campagnolo elektron alloys. Note that the cooling holes are different to the more common TZ version, and the early Sprint GT hubcaps.

I actually like the look of these wheels a lot, mostly because they're more subtle and rare too. The only problem is, who has any - or who would have the guts to produce them?

Alex.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
TI Super wheels...

Hi Alex

I agree that these wheels are very attractive... I think I know what you mean by ''more common TZ version'' but since only 100+ TZ's and 500+ Ti Supers....obviously lots of racing TZ's and 'poor' TI Super purchasers?

I have never seen in the flesh and have no idea of where to obtain....:(

Just would like to thank all who have responded to this thread - I eventually purchased new magnesium TZ 51/2J as the most easily obtainable. Expensive but very original. They arrived last week.:)

Richard

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those TI Super wheels

Are we sure they ever saw production - I note the TI Super has drum brakes but none were ever so equipped - maybe a preproduction prototype?

Richard

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Ti-Super wheels like on the picture do exist, a friend has a set, same wheels with the hubcaps and square shaped holes.
These were on the Stradale, 4,5" width, for racing they mostly used the TZ wheels in 5,5" or the Giulietta in 5"

Ti-Super has Dunlop disc brakes, think the picture is taken with the wheels mounted on a TI, A Ti-Super is just
an upgraded TI

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Richard

Where did you source your wheels from in the end?

And do you intend using them for racing? Tyre size?

I'd love to see pics if you have any.

Cheers

Shaun

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ti Super Wheels: Drum brakes...?

Hello,

My 20 cents.

As far as the 4-door Giulia is concerned, back in '65 there was mainly the Ti and the 'others': The new 'Super' and the 'Ti Super'.

So the documentation was on the same scheme: Ti owner's book as a standard for everybody and supplement booklet for Super or Ti Super.

Same for spare parts: The Ti super spare part featured only item which were different from the standard Ti.

I had the chance to have a look to this spare parts supplement (booklet, list WITHOUT PICTURES), 10 years ago or so.

And the funny thing was that the catalog features some elements 'For cars fitted with discs' (steering column, floors, and some other parts).

Of course, no brake drum or related part in the catalog (logically carried over from the Ti, so no need to appear in the supplement) but we may suppose that Ti Super was intended to be delivered with drums as a standard equipment and disc as an option.

Then later the option may have been removed or the customer had no choice (very common practice, for rear seats for example, as far as I can remember: If you wanted your car to be delivered in a reasonable delay, you had to order it with the option )

About the wheel I didn't pay attention to the wheels offered, but as the booklet was TEXT, it may not have helped much. To be honest at this time I believed that the wheels were steel and anyway I was not interested in this boxy saloon (I learned since..)

Different theory than the 'Ti with Tisuper wheel for shooting'.

Any opinion or better : Do someone around have this booklet or the driver's supplement ? Document are better than memory.

best regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Those d*rn wheels again..

Maybe just maybe we are all right....;)

Now I'm no expert on Giulia saloons but in Fusi ed 2 - and ed 1 - both Ti and Ti Super are shown with disc brakes but the spare parts catalogue indicates drum braked TI's, disc (ATE) braked TI's and Supers and Dunlop braked TI Supers. Unfortunately no date for this documentation.

My guess is that since the Giulia launch was 27 Jun 1962 at Monza Aerodrome drum brakes could easily have been used. Experts chime in please.

On closer examination the Giulia saloon wheel does look different to the TZ..:(

I will post some fotos as soon as I learn how to do it....

Richard

·
Registered
449 Posts
First Giulia berlina's (62) had drum brakes all round
some TI from the end of 63 have disc brakes in front, drum brakes rear, the later ones Dunlop disc brakes in front and rear
63/64 Ti Super Dunlop disc brakes
65/66 Super Dunlop disc brakes
after 67 all have ATE disc brakes

In Campagnolo elektron wheels are a lot of differences even between wheels with the same measurements, shape
of the holes, the placement of the airvalve, ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are the wheels on my giulia 1300ti. :)
This are 15'' original steel wheels. They are only 1'' broader. Doesn't this looks good!:cool:

ps. The car is also for sale now in holland......I want to buy a gt:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi

my Giulia Ti 105-14 of May 1964, had at the origin of the 4 Dunlop brakes (on request), now replaced by ATE

and with the 15" original steel wheels

Alfistement

Alfabiscione

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
the first 40 or so TI Supers from 63 did have drum brakes, as does the example in the museo storico. After that: Dunlop.
I've been finding out a lot about TI Supers lately due to having one in the shop to restore. The devil to find out what is or is not original.
Some had one sunvisor, others two, etc...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ti Super

Hi

Slightly OT but I think it will be impossible to determine a 'standard' race prepped Ti Super since there was no such thing. Each individual shop applied their own touches based on experience or situation.

My AutoDelta prepared Ti Super has the plexy windows etc etc but also had the 8 - two per door - metal caps to the door pulls removed but retained both sun visors! Seems an odd weight saving measure or to stop extraneous bits falling under pedals?.... An extra dash mounted rev counter as well....

One of the most visual changes was the addition of an elastic strap to hold down the bonnet/hood which required drilling of the front bumper/fender, whether this is original ex AutoDelta or by Alec Mildren Racing is open to discussion.

The best route to determine is period fotos which are very revealing and nice to have but it's a time consuming search!

Richard

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Richard did you end up getting the original engine rebuilt and a respray? I hope it comes to visit Australia some time in the future!

21 - 40 of 154 Posts