Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to match original magnesium wheels with current after market ones. I've posted a request for 5.5 and 6.0 magnesium as fitted to TZ and TI Super - I think they are identical except saloon type has hub cap clips - realising they are very fragile and difficult to find I wonder if any one knows a source of aftermarkets ones? The most frequently available similar pattern are made by Heinz Brand in the UK of aluminium but the hole pattern differs considerably to original - though I guess this could be ground away but safety issues? - besides looking different to mag, are Campagnolo original patterns available anywhere?
Thanks Richard

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Don't buy the Hein Brand ones, they weigh a tonne and I'll be selling mine as soon as I can afford the real thing, but I cannot comment on the hole pattern, and what do you mean by that? Do a search on the BB ... I think the company which owns the rights to Campagnolo wheels is still in existence, but I had heard that many of the original moulds had gone to Japan years ago.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Go for a set of Tecnomagnesium's 15x5.5, best looking replica on the market
and they are magnesium, hard to find though and they are getting expensive, they look to fat compared with the originals
15x6" magnesium replica : www.furiani.de, these are nice but expensive, abouth 5800 Euro for a set of 4
In my opinion best buy are the originals, they are fine for roaduse and a good investment, for racing 15" steel ( saab, Ford mondeo,...)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TZTI Super wheels

Thanks for posts - I've requested Furiano's prices....

Hein Brand's wheels have a 'thick' lower lip to the hole aperture - the hole itself appears to be correct shape - I think this could be ground away to replicate the original 'thin' lips. Yes, they do weigh a ton....

As much as I like originals I am not sure they can still be used in any competitive situation, as you say for street probably no problem.

Richard

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Richard,

The only other option would seem to be the wheels offered by this Japanese company who produce a lightweight alloy replica TZ/Ti Super wheel, with the original strengthening webs that other wheels seem to lack. Price at the moment is $275 per wheel but I cannot tell you much more than that since the entire website is in Japanese. I believe that someone on the BB might be able to help you with this side of things. Let us know what you discover!

http://www.babu.jp/~autoparco/parts/no39.html

Alex.

p.s. I seem to recall a guy in the UK making these wheels too, amongst other racing parts - I think I recognised the name as one of the 750/101 racers over here - but for some reason his website is not on my Favorites list and Google hasn't turned up anything. Maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can supply the link.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alex, I used to do a magnesium Campag replica SZ wheel, sandcast with webs on rear and correct hole shape, but the mould deteriorated and it was too costly to make another.The web site is down at the moment,but should be back up soon.
I am costing a diecast alloy wheel to the same pattern,but I am also moving out of London at the end of the year and don't expect to start producing until after the move.

Chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anyone have a good side view pic of a Super with the Hein Brand manuf wheels, and then a close up pic.

Sometimes these replicas seem to look correct on the car and sometimes not.

I'm going to the UK in month or so and was looking at getting a set from Classic Alfa (which if my memory serves me correctly are Hein Brand's)

Will post some pics I have too.

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Chris,

You could corner the market if you produced that mould again. How many did you produce anyway? And how much did they weigh? PM me if you'd prefer.

Alex.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Alex said:
Shaun,

Which size of tyre are you planning to use?
Hey Alex

Haven't decided yet. I don't think I can get a reasonable race tyre to use it on my race Giulia (we run cut/semi slicks here and I think in a 15" we only get 195/55). If it goes on my road car, whatever works best I guess. It will be lowered though so I hope clearance isn't an issue.

What would you recommend - someone else recommended 175/65 if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Alex

On your link (japanese) they seem to have two different kinds. The one's centre piece is way more recessed - wider wheel?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
The bottom wheels look original. The #49 car has quite wide wheels (Technomagnesio?), whereas the first two appear to be wearing other repro wheels. The Hein Brands are thicker casts than any of the rest, as far I can see. I think the various wheels are offered in anything from 5" up to 7" and associated offset changes. One of the main problems is finding good 15" tyres with a good sidewall height (for road use). I use the Avon CR6ZZR 175/70-15 and although a great tyre it is quite firm ... Other road options include the Michelin and Vredestein tyres. For racing, the choice is much wider.

Alex.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Shaun C said:
On your link (japanese) they seem to have two different kinds. The one's centre piece is way more recessed - wider wheel?
These are rear TZ wheels, so will be wider than used for Supers etc.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Tires for Supers/ TI

I've found that a 185/65r15 works well and is about as wide as you can go without problems. Some 195s may work but it's very very tight.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Lowering

Maybe it's because I used to work and live in SoCal for so long -but I firmly believe every Giulia sedan looks better lowered somewhat. When set-up for the track the rear clearance issues improve- the "bulge" of the tire sits further up and away from "stuff" and I usually cut the limit strap perches off anyway. I used to run 205s in the back, on a 6 inch wheel with a 38mm offset. Nowadays though the 205s seem much much wider (espc. the new Hoosier R3 S04s with the cantilvered sidewalls) and 195s are all you could use.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The wheels on the green TI and the blue Ti Super replica are Tecnomagnesio, the white Ti-Super are original, the wheesl on the other one are replica I think, they don't look similar as TZ, I have seen those before, in Italia, Nori I think
Furiani in Germany is advertising with 15x6" magnesium

1 - 20 of 154 Posts