Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing the inner headlights of my Super with TI Super lookalike grill mesh (following a stone versus headlight lens incident yesterday). Has anyone on this forum done this before, and does anyone have any ideas what I could use for the mesh? It seems to be of fairly thick chromed wire rather than the finer mesh you get on GTAs etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Never have changed out the lights and actually put mesh in, but have looked around for wire mesh suitable for the task if I decide to off-road rally or tailgate semi trucks. Pg 48 of the new Pegasus catalog has 304 stainless steel "wire cloth" in various wire guages and openings per inch for a custom fabrication. I'd go with their #4 mesh.

http://pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3642

Also maybe easier are round headlight stone guards. I've found steel stone guards online for headlamps at various jeep/off-road places. Of course most of these guards would look "incorrect" on the super.

good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes - spot on! and nice berlina too

I have found a few places in the UK that sell 5 1/4 inch chrome stone guards just like that - so subject to a friend on another forum finding a set which he reckons is somewhere in his loft, I'll probably pick one of these up.

I can dig up a couple of links if anyone else is interested.

Someone told me that on TI Supers the mesh was the opening for ducting into the wheel archs to cool the brakes. Does that mean that alfa made a hole in the inner wing to let the duct through? I might just bung an oil cooler behind one of these.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've seen oil cooler on the left, and air duct to ram tubes on the right before as mods for race cars (also heard the same about the TI Supers though). Be sure to post some pics when you're done.

Cheers

·
Registered
642 Posts
looking for my super

Reviving an old thread.

I have searched the net high and low and haven't found these. Any clue ?

Dan

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
You might try the Porsche 356 guys and parts places (Stoddard, NLA, Pelica). Some early Porsches had mesh guards over the headlights, though they're not 5 3/4". But they might be adaptable.

Andrew

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
A 2 1/2 year old thread helping out today, sweet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts