Alfa Romeo Forums banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Ready for the dash.
Glove box was a little loose so new tabs made from aluminum and screwed secured the top of the box to the dashunderside. . Much better than the brittle plastic.
The old wrinkle finish was redone, still in the oven but looking good.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
This is so nice that I now want to tear apart my TI and restore it.

Reactions: ganunez

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
A week of iterations until it worked. After trying to unsuccessfully to refurbish the warped dash pad I decided to start from scratch.
First I used the actual dash to lay up a fiberglass piece that would have the exact shape of the pad bottom. It's not flat btw even though it sure looks like it.
Then using heavy balsa wood boards 3/8 thick I made the top and the bull nose over the glove box door. Shaping the bottom of the wood to match the gentle curve or the "flat " top.
Once it fit the fiberglass base without rocking it was epoxied to it, then a 1/8 inch foam layer.
Then the glueing of the black vinyl , thin and stretchable, really nerve racking.
I had bought a yard at Hobby Lobby but then I realized that a trip to the local upholstery supplier might be worth it.
Thin and stretchy, the stuff from HL would not have taken the corners.
I'll have to dedicate a post just to the hole in the wall upholstery supplier that's been there 50 years. 2 hour wait!

I am super happy with the look. Result is that now I can finally install the dash.

Balsa wood core

Good fit and even across the glove box

Fiberglass bottom

To be attached with screws from the bottom accessible from inside the glove box.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #228

The transmission carpet is the old one that fits well, the new one doesn't fit snugly.
Electrical systems check....everything works.
Dash just dropped in, no problem. BUT I lost one of the three 6mm headed screws that go along the top of the dash.
Special screw with a rounded entry.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

Great looks but after the body door seal the doors won't close. They closed perfectly , with just the right amount of spring back , after the door seals were installed. :(

·
Premium Member
22,258 Posts
This is a common problem. It's the on-body seals that are preventing closing? Not the on-door seals?
Andrew

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Yes, even though the tubing is just 1 or 2 mm larger.
Deciding what to do.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Got it from Cicognani....the interference seems to be along the hinge line.
Tempted to cut the tubing off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Yep

·
Premium Member
22,258 Posts
I have never had the on-body seals give me closing trouble, only the on-door seals. But I haven't used the repro on-body ones, only originals.
Andrew

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Thanks for the tip.
I slide out the on-door seal and see what happens. Those went on rather easily.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cicognani velvet gaskets have the tubular part of the correct diameter and the doors close well. Those all in rubber instead have a slightly oversized tubular, making it difficult to close. Why did you put the two-tone ones? In U.S.A. did they arrive like this?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Interesting!
Yes, I have a section of the original felt body seal and the Cicognani is only a mm larger in diameter. Also the car had tan felt originally.
Still investigating....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you detect the light brown color in a part not exposed to light and therefore well preserved? I will have disassembled about twenty Giulia 1600 TI but (here in Italy) I have never seen one like it.
In Padua, at the end of the month, I will purchase the velvet trimmings for my 1967 1600 Super from Cicognani (y)
I forgot: congratulations for the great work you have done so far! I too am looking for a cover for the dashboard of my TI SUPER, but I would like to find it original (clearly to be restored ...).

221 - 240 of 275 Posts