Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Starting to build momentum with some smaller projects.

New tank and accessories

Fender inner shield.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
A day to get the tank door hinges right, and installing removing the tank about 10x, it's starting to get there.
Dynamat original locations.

The paint shop removed the gas door, a mistake imo, the original hinge rivets were copper, replacement are aluminum .
Made a tool to flare the rivets but the 8-32 screw was too small in diameter, should have been 1/4-20. So i gave up on the rivets and used 4mm SHCS with nylon washers and nyloc nuts to make the hinges. Ultimately better as they are now removable.

Rubber bumpers and plastic surround installed.

Glued the new rubber mats to the sides of the trunk. 3m adhesive was 26 dollars but does it stick!

I'll use these to secure the gas tank.

The mat across the trunk isnot glued.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Thanks Andrew

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #206

Help arrived and we got the engine in, 30 minutes.

we'll try to put the gearbox in this afternoon.

Reactions: markivan

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
And then the transmission, with the starter, clutch cable etc.

kids bench pressed it, luckily the clutch was aligned and a gear engaged so all it took was s wiggle of the guibo.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
This afternoon we installed the windshield, first I've ever installed. Not too bad after spending the better part of the day cleaning both the windshield and the polishing the aluminum moulding. Snapping on the drip moulding and A pillar trim after more time polishing the trim. A light coating of white grease helped snap it on and protect the bodywork.
Remaking the interior trim of the A pillar with a thin foam backing to give it the right padding feel was the final touch. Came out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Rear installed, much faster than the front just because better technique attaching the bright trim to the rubber.

Before the help, kids, leave we'll hang the exhaust.

Cleaned up nicely with Krud Kutter.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Lots of smaller tasks, very time consuming detailing everything before it gets installed.

Yellow zinc grade 8 torqued to 15 lb-ft

Battery tray bolted on with the horns.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #211

Good grease fitting on replacement u-joint. Took several times assembling it trying to find out what was causing it to bind in one axis. Turns out the C clip can be 1mm or 1.5mm thick. Use the thinner one.

Radiator fiasco.
Took rad to shop to get a new core and dents removed but what i got back looked pretty disgusting even though it had a nee core. I spent hours stripping it down, sanding and finally giving it a proper satin finish not realizing the bottom outlet had been soldered horizontally, should be at 45*.
Now reluctantly it's gotta go back.
In the meantime I'll do what i should have done, get a new one from CA.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,604 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
How hard can it be to core a radiator? I had a local guy re-core my radiator. By the time I got around to installing it, I discovered the expert had stuffed a core in my radiator that made it too thick. It would not fit in my car. So, off the radiator went to someone who knew what they were doing.
Quality work , craftsmanship is gone from most trades. Hacks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Radiator fiasco sorted out and ready for the coolant. I asked the tech section of the bb and the few said to just use the good old green but coolant technology has progressed so i will use Asian car coolant. Long technical reasons here.
Other updates.
One week just on the doors. All doors internals in place, window winders installed and strikers adjusted so they click nicely. Reminder that you PUT THE GLASS FIRST, then the trim, (many hrs spent polishing the ss)! Don't forget to paint flat black the door window channel. The felt glass tracks don't cover all the sheetmetal. Also this time around i just glued the felt glass scrapers that are usually stapled to the ss trim, worked well.

Almost 60 year old staples for the felt scraper now just glued with 3M yellow.

A painstaking part of the door assembly for sure. Had to dress all the edges and still got some scratches here and there that have to be touched up. Ohh well.

At least this was easy.

Reactions: shakingthrough

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I might have to redo my headliner after seeing yours! Kudos again for your great work as well as the great work documenting all of this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I might have to redo my headliner after seeing yours! Kudos again for your great work as well as the great work documenting all of this.
Thanks for appreciating the documentation ....
Headliner was done 30+ years ago, nowadays it's available precut and stitched in the correct material along with the other interior trim. Seems it can be a diy.

·
WANTED: GTA & GTAm Parts
134 Posts
Radiator fiasco sorted out and ready for the coolant. I asked the tech section of the bb and the few said to just use the good old green but coolant technology has progressed so i will use Asian car coolant. Long technical reasons here.

HI George!

Great job on the Ti and your narration on the BB, looking forward to seeing you soon.

Regarding the radiator fluid, since most of my Alfa's and other brands sit for extended periods of time, I use either of these two additives to help combat corrosion mixed with distilled water since we live in Florida and it never freezes...
For Coolant, I like...

201 - 220 of 265 Posts